Discuss Ring down at board but connected ?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all hoping you use can help, came across an issue when carrying EIC on new build installation that was wired by another spark and I am testing it. The strangest thing is there is 3 rings in the house that have been wired, kitchen, upstairs and downstairs. But there is also another ring wired back to consumer unit. So all rings have got end to end continuity and figure of eights completed with all sockets given same result with 0.03 of difference at some points. But there is another ring that is wired that doesn’t seem to be connected to anything as I have went to all points in the house and this ring is not connected. I think On 1st fix stage this ring has been pulled in has a loop on it but is not going/connecting to anything. Has powered up board all circuits on and this ring does not have power on it, so I have not connected to consumer unit and have put ring into connector strip at back of board. Just thinking would it be best if this ring was connected to the earth bar or would leaving in connector strip be better ? Thanks in advance ?

Have you confirmed that everything is in fact back on supply?

when the ring was connected, did you put a clamp on it to see if it was drawing any power?

could it be for washer dryer etc, or fridges.
possibly some outside or garage sockets
or even a ring in a loft is possible.

I don't think i would have disconnected it if the end to end continuity was good and Ir was good.

Hi James thanks for getting back yeah have confirmed all points in the house and are accounted for, all fridges, WM , DW etc etc. All other circuits accounted. When power is on all points are working and there is no power on the ring coming back. So I think the loop has been pulled in for ring for the appliances but hasn’t been put to the the appliances points once partitions have went up and doing final boxing just wondering if use would tie this ring down to earth or just leave in connector block ? Many thanks

4 rings - must be a big house if it was intentional. Can you get in touch with the spark who did the wiring?

If you are carrying out inspection and testing for the EIC then presumably you have the electrical designs to verify the installation against? Do these shed any light on it?

Yes unused conductors would ideally be connected to earth.

Can’t get in touch with him which is a bit of a pain like. Yeah have the design drawings just looked at them about an hour ago it shows it was supposed to supply appliance ring which it isn’t now must have got the rings mixed up or not split the loop as the kitchen ring does all the appliances now aswell. So rings connected to accessories works out to be
Downstairs ring - 8 sockets
Upstairs ring - 13 sockets
Kitchen ring - 4 sockets FF, TD , WM ,DW , Micro

Going on the load think the kitchen will be cutting it but can’t see all appliances on at once, so I will tie down this looped ring which isn’t doing anything to Earth? Will notify client about ring doing kitchen/utility can’t see them re doing it all as all finished. Well hope they won’t.

I think I would be running a tone tracer on the circuit in an attempt to identify the cable run, it would be very unusual just to run a continuous loop of cable in without it being connected to anything

Going on the load think the kitchen will be cutting it but can’t see all appliances on at once, so I will tie down this looped ring which isn’t doing anything to Earth? Will notify client about ring doing kitchen/utility can’t see them re doing it all as all finished. Well hope they won’t.

What does the client need to be notified about? One ring circuit to feed 4 twin sockets and a few appliances is fine.

Yeah that’s a good idea but think the best option would be to tie down to Earth. Just as not per design with few big loads. But yeah your right probably no need to notify them ?

Yeah that’s a good idea but think the best option would be to tie down to Earth. Just as not per design with few big loads. But yeah your right probably no need to notify them ?

What are the big loads on the ring? You've only listed normal appliances so far, nothing that would be a 'big' load.

Well I think the microwave is a combi one rated at 2.2kw but on grill only 800watts and on microwave only 900watts. So yeah it shouldn’t be an issue. ? Thanks for the replies

Reply to Ring down at board but connected ?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net