Discuss Ring Final Circuit Testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

What mechanical insulation are your referring to, I would check across all lines and neutrals, had it so many times with lines and cpc's mixed up, doesn't take long and can save you chasing your tail for a fault that is very easy to find, if you check and all ok, then start breaking down the ring.

I'll tell you how i do it, without the hassle of dragging wander leads all over the gaff.

Remove all the plugs from the sockets in that circuit. connect one leg only of the offending component of the ring, perhaps an earth in your case and then go round with a typical three neon socket tester and find out at which point you go from earth fault to a good reading. Then connect the other end and do the same in the opposite direction - you will narrow down the fault in no time.

If the fault is within an FCU on the ring main, you will also be able to narrow this down too.

Then do the same for your line circuit.

I have used this method loads of time and it is much quicker than pulling the wander lead around.

I'll tell you how i do it, without the hassle of dragging wander leads all over the gaff.

Remove all the plugs from the sockets in that circuit. connect one leg only of the offending component of the ring, perhaps an earth in your case and then go round with a typical three neon socket tester and find out at which point you go from earth fault to a good reading. Then connect the other end and do the same in the opposite direction - you will narrow down the fault in no time.

If the fault is within an FCU on the ring main, you will also be able to narrow this down too.

Then do the same for your line circuit.

I have used this method loads of time and it is much quicker than pulling the wander lead around.

Hi,

Thanks for that, FAA.

I've already ordered a Kewtech ACC50MTL from ISSWWW, which should be here hopefully tomorrow. Like I say it'll come in handy for testing bonding etc anyway..

I'm with ifindoubtdont's on this too. The whole installation will need testing anyway just by what's been discovered.

1) Shower keeps tripping after about 10 mins (9.5kw) 41.3amp on a 32amp breaker, 6mm conductor. Testing shows 36amp is being drawn, though I may get away with a breaker with larger over current protection.

2) Grouped cables above a door standard, poorly terminated in block connectors (too much of the conductors showing), and the sleeving missing from the cpc's!

3) A double surface box fitted directly in front of an outside vent!!

4) An unused light switch point covered with wallpaper (live conductors behind).

5) Pulled off a splash back in the kitchen and there's another exposed point with live conductors freely sitting with no connectors.. Bizarre!!!

6) A spur taken from an unfused spur supplying kitchen unit lighting!

7) Ring final circuit no longer a ring!....

And that's just sor far!!

So Thursday is going to be a busy day!! :-/

if its one of these jobs worth checking gas/water earth ok/ie; not short ends just stuck under the wallpaper!
have had a lot of them !

Reply to Ring Final Circuit Testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net