Discuss Scottish approved competence assesment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

southside elect

to gain approved in scotland we must pass an approved competence assesment in a sjib training centre, similar set up to the trade test with the booth etc

we need to do a Ze on the booth and the instructor has the incoming cable powered down, he then says "what precations will you take before i power it up to allow the Ze test" the answer he wants to hear is that you will screen the booth with a plastic sheet and some spring clamps, therefore removing the risk of me, the tester, touching any exposed metal in the booth as we have disconnected the main earth.

have any of you guys came across this before? or even better have you done this in the test?

Hi,
So when you arrive at somebody's property you have to screen the installation you are going to test; when you have already made all the circuits safe prior to your ZE test?

This is what I had to do in the ACA, screen off all other parts live or metallic to create an earth free location also stand on an insulated rubber mat
Before sitting the ACA I'd never even seen insulated screening, but it's pretty self explanatory to use. Since sitting the ACA I've now got insulated screening, clamps, mat in the van but I admit its only really brought out if we've got an inspection

If I mind correctly he asked me what 2 things must I do before doing ze. One is disconnect main earth n second as you said is to cover all metallic extraneous parts with the plastic sheet. Was just a bit of see through plastic about the size of a bed sheet n there are wee clamps to clip them too. It's dead straight forward. Don't worry about it n good luck

It's pretty much to make sure everything within touching distance of what you're working on is covered, leaving just enough room for your test probes

Reply to Scottish approved competence assesment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net