• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Self employed income support scheme in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

davesparks

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I don't think anyone has posted this yet, there is now an online gov.uk site to check your eligibility for the self employment support scheme.
You need your UTR and NI number then it will tell you if you are eligible, if you are then you go through a form to prove your identity using driving licence or passport info and then add your contact details so that they can let you know when you can make a claim.

I don't know if they are giving people different dates/times when they can make their claims to avoid overwhelming the system, but I've done it now to get in at the beginning of the queue if they are doing it first come/first served style.

Link here:

I was looking on line about it ,I have sent the government a invoice for 10 bit coins regarding the work I have lost .if I dont get that then I will send a invoice to the Chinese and dont want it paying in panda monies neither .
[automerge]1588673728[/automerge]
It's telling me from 8am on the 15th May to file a claim. I presume the position is still that it won't be paid until June.
they are leaving it to the last minute just in case it goes beyond july .

I've done it earlier this morning, but it didn't give me a time or date, just said something like "thank you for your enquiry" with no options to navigate forward.

Plenty of time yet to be disappointed anyway.

You need your UTR and NI number then it will tell you if you are eligible, if you are then you go through a form to prove your identity using driving licence or passport info and then add your contact details so that they can let you know when you can make a claim.
Incidentally it just took an e-mail address and mobile number from me. I wasn't asked for either driving licence or passport details.

Incidentally it just took an e-mail address and mobile number from me. I wasn't asked for either driving licence or passport details.

Had you confirmed your identity with the government gateway service before?

It may be that I had problems getting through the confirm identity thing a few weeks ago and so it did it now.
[automerge]1588675661[/automerge]
It's telling me from 8am on the 15th May to file a claim. I presume the position is still that it won't be paid until June.

I was given the same date and time and it said payments will be made 6 days after application.
I can't remember exactly where it said that though.

Had you confirmed your identity with the government gateway service before?

It may be that I had problems getting through the confirm identity thing a few weeks ago and so it did it now.
Not that I recall. But I can't state definitively that I never did. I'm relatively certain that I've never provided those documents/document numbers before though.

"Claim from midday 14 May" for me. I said I was with davesparks, so they let me jump ahead of Risteard ;)

You're ahead of me too!

I got the same time/date as Risteard, maybe the date allocation is a bit more random,
[automerge]1588675781[/automerge]
Not that I recall. But I can't state definitively that I never did. I'm relatively certain that I've never provided those documents/document numbers before though.

Do you use the government gateway system regularly or for tax schemes etc?
I leave mine to the accountant so haven't ever logged in to it since I first set it up so that's probably why.

You're ahead of me too!

I got the same time/date as Risteard, maybe the date allocation is a bit more random,
[automerge]1588675781[/automerge]

Do you use the government gateway system regularly or for tax schemes etc?
I leave mine to the accountant so haven't ever logged in to it since I first set it up so that's probably why.
I use it for self-assessment. So perhaps that could be the explanation. I don't have an agent setup on it.

I filled this in (my UTR and NI) but it said I wasn’t eligible. Why might that be?

The business is a partnership between my wife and I... She has a part time job that’s been furloughed.
I have had 2 full years trading, and had my returns in on time. The only thing that it might be is that for those 2 years I hadn’t made enough to pay tax and received a tax rebate. (From tax my wife had paid)
I won’t know how much UC I’m getting until 14th May.

payments are expected to be 6 days after application, see here:
[automerge]1588680656[/automerge]
I filled this in (my UTR and NI) but it said I wasn’t eligible. Why might that be?

The business is a partnership between my wife and I... She has a part time job that’s been furloughed.
I have had 2 full years trading, and had my returns in on time. The only thing that it might be is that for those 2 years I hadn’t made enough to pay tax and received a tax rebate. (From tax my wife had paid)

If you have received a tax rebate then that suggests you may have made a loss on paper, or at least for the first year (i think most of us did/do in the first year)?
If you have made a loss then your average profits over the last 3 years (2 years in your case) may well be a negative number. As the grants are based on average income then if your income is zero or less then you wont get anything.

You will still be able to claim UC for as long as your income is reduced.

Last edited:

Presumably the Self-Employed scheme does not include partnerships, which are probably covered by the furlough scheme.

Out of interest, are these schemes some sort of loans that you have to pay back in the fullness of time, or are they paid back through your tax returns etc?

I assume you’ll just have to declare it on 20-21 tax return as income and pay tax as relevant......the bigger question of repayment as a whole can only be higher taxes in the future...

The monies the government has given away
to company's ferlong they staff they will need to put the taxes up and vat and I don't blame them, its better to do that having a lot of peaple on the dole.

Reply to Self employed income support scheme in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back