Discuss New Guy - fuse spur for socket and light? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

amrikpall

Hi guys & gals.

This is my first post. I'm Glasgow born 34 male living in Manchester. I always loved working with my hands and due to bad guidance and choices as a kid I never pursued what I was good at and enjoy. However in 2011, I successfully complete and past the 2330 & 17th Edititon.

Once completed the above courses and as I have a wife and 2 children and fear of not earning I continued to work in a non construction industry (technical support for computer company.) I did loads of work in the evening, weekend and holidays doing new installs, additions to existing installs and full rewires.

Things didn't work out at work so in the begining of 2014 I handed in my notice and decided I should persue the career I enjoy (I believe if you love your job you will work at a high standard).

I did work for several people who promised to help me with experience and help polish my knowledge. As I would expect I would be working for peanuts and expected to do all the work.

To be honest I was grateful for the oppertunity and waking up in the morning excited to start work was a great feeling that it was worth sacraficing the money.

I was always promised the low pay is only for the trial period 3 to 6 months, depending on who was employing me.

Things would always start good, the boss would always say "I like your work don't worry I will be putting up your wages soon", until eventually you realise your only being used. Even then I was OK as long as they helped me to progress, until I would here "we can't take photos, customers won't like it" or "you don't need an NVQ". Then he would employ another person, my pay rise and promises would stop, work ethics would go out the window (Profit over everything), my boss would start humiliating me in front of other workers.

So I had to make the disicion to go at it on my own. Took out a loan to buy a van, ladders, tools etc.

I am currently trying to raise the money to join Napit, Niceic or any others.

My question for today is can I fuse spur from existing sockets to double socket and then to a light switch to a ceiling Rose. As I require some sockets and light under my stairs.

I was considering adding an additional fuse spur beyond the socket but before the light switch, any recommendations?

Thanks again for taking the time to read this thread.
Pious Jim

if existing sockets are on a ring final, then fit unswitched 13A FCU to feed your extra socket/s. then a switched 5A FCU for the light. use the FCU as a functional switch for the light. test and complete a minor works.

Hi Telectrix,
Just checking I understand. Would I wire it up in the following

Ring Main to 13A FCU (unswitched) to Double Sockets to Double Sockets to 5A FCU (switched) to light fitting.

Reply to New Guy - fuse spur for socket and light? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net