Discuss Shaving off kitchen tiles in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Greetings.
I am wondering if anyone has any handy techniques for shaving off bits of kitchen tiles.
The previous "electrician" has installed inadequate shallow back boxes in the kitchen and stuffed as many cables as he can in them and then stuffed the fused spur lid on top, it's a total mess and dangerous too as the insulation on some of the cables is going.
I need to take out the old back boxes, chisel out more wall and fit deep back boxes and then replace a load of cable.
The trouble is the tiles have been put on over the corners of the back box. I just need to cut a slice of tile away to give me the space to get the old back boxes out.
So my question is if you were to cut away a slice of kitchen wall tile what would you use.
I was thinking of maybe using a dremel with a mini grinder blade just to cut along the section of the tile I need to remove, it should then snap off. A bit fiddly but it should work.
Has anyone any better suggestions?
Thanks.

These are very good when space is tight but the blades can be expensive and i think the tile cutter is an optional extra Bosch PMF 180 E Multifunctional Allrounder: Cuts, Saws, Sands: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools You can do plunge cuts with it which sometimes makes it invaluable.

If you have more space you can nibble tiles away with pincers, or drill thru tape (to stop slipping) or maybe even get a small angle grinder at it depending on available space.

Edit : apologies for duplication marty you replied while i was reading the reviews in the link i put on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just put my new multi tool to the test on a tile out of interest with the tile cutter attachment. Its ok for scoring and would take while to cut all the way through so then would have to nibble as pushrod says so yup I'd go with the grinder.

Had to get the tool out anyway to do lil job I haven't got round too so that made me do it.

If you are doing it with a grinder, obviously remember that the blade is round and the more you push it in, the longer the cut will be. You don't want visible scores around all your boxes now, do you?

Yeah, keep an eye on the ends of the cut, you will have to nibble the corners as rocker says, the blade wont go all the way through in corners unless the cut goes out along the wall where you don't want it.

I've just had to cut tiles in a kitchen to add a 2+1 box for a spur for new boiler. I used a Dremmel tile cutting bit in a battery drill, worked a treat. Dremmel attachment is available from B & Q £12.98.

Reply to Shaving off kitchen tiles in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net