Discuss Should the UK pay up? UK told to pay £1.7bn extra to EU in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Talking of smoke and mirrors - can anyone explain to me how the contributions the countries makes are calculated?
Net GDP but the EU revised it to include money spent on prostitution and drug....... errmm now can't remember the last time I saw a tax return from a pimp!.. nor how you can calculate it either, a last ditch attemp on the EU's part to milk the cash cow just in case we leave.

Net GDP but the EU revised it to include money spent on prostitution and drug....... errmm now can't remember the last time I saw a tax return from a pimp!.. nor how you can calculate it either, a last ditch attemp on the EU's part to milk the cash cow just in case we leave.

I heard it reported that they estimate the "black economy" - how the hell do they do that?

As I previously asked can anyone link to the calculations?

No it hasn't ... we are still paying the 1.7 but due to the delay it has been offset by rebate we were going to get anyway next year.... smoke and mirrors, nothings changed except the dates, they have not made a victory by halving the amount, that was a given anyway. Had we payed 1.7billion on dec 1 then net year we still would have got the 850million rebate, all the goverment has done is use the rebate that was already known to be coming and make it look like a victory for Cam' ..... its treating the public as stupid and tbh most are but it offends me that they think we wouldn't see through it.

So what is the craic, if they hadn't of paid the £1.7bn they would still have got the extra £850m coming to them anyhow.

So what is the craic, if they hadn't of paid the £1.7bn they would still have got the extra £850m coming to them anyhow.
If we refused to pay the 1.7billion do you honestly think the EU would have give us the rebate... they are crooks and money launderers they have 10 of billions of Euro's un-accounted for in their audits, some has gone missing and is linked to funding terrorist groups, its a complete shambles ....

It just takes someone with guts to say Yes! Ill pay your 1.7billion as you want but I need to see your accounts and that your spending my investment wisely, only one person ever challenged the EU and its lack of accountability for all the missing money that was a rising figure in politics Mr Nigel Farage at one of the EU nations meetings, the EU's response was to ask why he was so against the EU and he replied - wasn't my question to an unelected head of the EU a very good reason on its own merit!
The fact is if the EU was a bank it would have been closed down and those in high jobs would have been jailed for fraud but no its the EU and has no accountability to anyone.

Is the uk rebate not set in stone. 2/3 of surplus cash returned to uk to make up for the low common agricultural policy payments the uk recieves.

If we refused to pay the 1.7billion do you honestly think the EU would have give us the rebate... they are crooks and money launderers they have 10 of billions of Euro's un-accounted for in their audits, some has gone missing and is linked to funding terrorist groups, its a complete shambles ....

It just takes someone with guts to say Yes! Ill pay your 1.7billion as you want but I need to see your accounts and that your spending my investment wisely, only one person ever challenged the EU and its lack of accountability for all the missing money that was a rising figure in politics Mr Nigel Farage at one of the EU nations meetings, the EU's response was to ask why he was so against the EU and he replied - wasn't my question to an unelected head of the EU a very good reason on its own merit!
The fact is if the EU was a bank it would have been closed down and those in high jobs would have been jailed for fraud but no its the EU and has no accountability to anyone.

Wasn't Kinnock the EU commissioner who was appointed to sort out the accountability issue I seem to recall the senior auditor at the time refused to sign off the accounts it was sorted out though they fired her and found somebody who would

Political parties aside, we have to pay the Money, we signed up and agreed to it, end of, the bullsh%te over the last week or so from the Chancellor is purely down to next may and the back benchers supporting UKIP, if it was a year or two into the term it would have been settled and we would never had heard a thing from anyone, all bullsh%te.

Politics aside, one Tony Blair gave up 50% of our rebate in 2003 or 2004 in exchange for reform of the CAP - which has never happened. I also heard on the radio today that UK plc is still going to give £2 billion pounds to the Euro "fund".

Seems to me we are bending over and getting shafted all the time.

At the end of the day, politics is about stealth, slight of hand and illusions.

People will vote for a party that puts £100 pound in their pocket not realising they are taking an extra £200 out of their pockets in hidden costs and taxes.
This is unfortunately the reality of this country as education is at an all time low and voting like always is usually a poor turnout (scots referendum aside).... the people cannot choose who is best to run the country when they don't understand basic politics, so until it becomes part of the education system we will always be run by the best magicians.

The problem with the companies employing "foreigners" comes back to poor parenting, poor schooling & exam results and the plethora ort stupid TV programmes advocating becoming a "star" and getting paid silly amounts of money for doing SFA.

Parents and kids alike, across the UK from ALL back grounds need to understand that there isn't a pot of gold awaiting after school irrespective of exam results, nor are "entry" jobs well paid, and that career progression requires dedication to the job, turning up on time EVERY day and on occassions doing some unpaid extras.

The EU can ask and even demand to have UK annual contributions raised, but the fact is, a calculation was negotiated and a contract agreed and signed between the UK and EU at time of entry. Basically the same as every other member country. Now if the UK and Holland made particularly good deals compared to other member countries, TOO BAD!! I doubt very much if the EU can make any member country legally break a signed contract....

The biggest drain on EU finances is the EURO, it's a currency that cannot survive in it's present form. As it stands when one Euro country hits a major balance of payment problems it quickly becomes a domino effect for other Euro countries that are having problems, and once a country's rating falls below ''double A'', they start having serious borrowing problems on a worldwide scale!! Just thank your lucky stars that the UK didn't go down the Euro Zone route!! lol!!

The EU can ask and even demand to have UK annual contributions raised, but the fact is, a calculation was negotiated and a contract agreed and signed between the UK and EU at time of entry. Basically the same as every other member country. Now if the UK and Holland made particularly good deals compared to other member countries, TOO BAD!! I doubt very much if the EU can make any member country legally break a signed contract....

The biggest drain on EU finances is the EURO, it's a currency that cannot survive in it's present form. As it stands when one Euro country hits a major balance of payment problems it quickly becomes a domino effect for other Euro countries that are having problems, and once a country's rating falls below ''double A'', they start having serious borrowing problems on a worldwide scale!! Just thank your lucky stars that the UK didn't go down the Euro Zone route!! lol!!

Hit, nail and head.

The principle reason that the EU is still in recession is that the Euro countries can't recover. If the Southern countries had been allowed to leave back in 2011 then they, by now, would have had growing economies, which in turn would have meant that they would have had to pay more into the EU coffers.

Its also noted that as long as the Euro zone remains depressed, the UK economy won't grow much more either.

So this means that as long as the Euro continues, and the UK economy grows, then our payments to the EU will more than likely grow whilst Germany and France will continue to get "rebates"

So the UK will continue to prop up the Euro what ever happens!

This is in addition the £2 billion we "give" to the Euro "disaster" fund.

Stupidity

Hit, nail and head.

The principle reason that the EU is still in recession is that the Euro countries can't recover. If the Southern countries had been allowed to leave back in 2011 then they, by now, would have had growing economies,

Are you sure about that? Ireland has the fastest growing economy in the EU the economy grew by 7.7% in 2014

Are you sure about that? Ireland has the fastest growing economy in the EU the economy grew by 7.7% in 2014

Ireland has been through very tough public spending cuts and has now emerged from the "other" side - I can't imagine the French, Spanish, Italians, or the Greeks doing the same!

The Irish took on the changes in a positive way - and well done to them - they adjusted their outgoings to suit their income.

Ireland has been through very tough public spending cuts and has now emerged from the "other" side - I can't imagine the French, Spanish, Italians, or the Greeks doing the same!

The Irish took on the changes in a positive way - and well done to them - they adjusted their outgoings to suit their income.

But they are still in debt and still have a credit rating below ''double A''!!

Ireland the country may be recovering, but it is 6 quid a pint and a lot of the people in it are struggling, it may start getting very much like here, 1% are rich, 50% struggling and 49% damn broke, and 300,000 families living off food banks, great Ireland had a tough spending cut regime, I hope the public are happy living in squaler.

Reply to Should the UK pay up? UK told to pay £1.7bn extra to EU in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net