Discuss Should the UK pay up? UK told to pay £1.7bn extra to EU in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

As far as I know the EU have still not been able to show how they have calculated the figures for the money the UK and other countries owe or how the rebates were calculated, the fact that the EU's accounts have not been signed off by accountants for 19 years in a row makes you wonder just how much can they be trusted.

... In the real world, no one would pay for something that the calculation of, could not be demonstrated!!! Haha! Thats ridiculous!

It wasn,t long ago we tried bailing out other countries who couldnt pay have we had that monney back first of all

I believe that was some of the extra borrowing the UK incurred we loaned to Ireland at an agreed interest rate then they renegotiated the interest rate down a while after because they decided it was to high

I believe that was some of the extra borrowing the UK incurred we loaned to Ireland at an agreed interest rate then they renegotiated the interest rate down a while after because they decided it was to high

The cost of the loan to ireland was lowered because the cost of the uks own borrowings came down, it was restructured into something resembling a tracker mortgage where ireland pays the uks costs plus 0.18%. So there is hardly a loss being made by the uk

All the supposed excuses for not finding the illegals makes me laugh,during the war Hitler managed quite easily to round up millions of Jews,and conduct a war against virtually every country in europe.Surely it can't be that hard for us to get our act together and round up the illegals? Don't want to seems more like the real reason.

Phil to some extent I agree with you but the Borders Agency are short staffed and short funded. Where do you suggest they start?
Sure they'll hit a few and round some up but word soon gets around and they'll start to go to ground. Don't forget, going from a lot of illegals that have been caught they're often kept hidden by people who are using them as slave labour. There was one caught round our way a couple of months ago, he'd been traficced here and put to work in a cannabis farm. He wasn't allowed to leave and once a week people would drop food off for him.
A cop with a good sense of smell was his downfall. He's now back in Vietnam (or he was anyway)

That's the problem Trev,the government keeps cutting back then say they can't catch people.It makes you wonder if they're bothered at all.

Phil to some extent I agree with you but the Borders Agency are short staffed and short funded. Where do you suggest they start?

They could start by stopping all the appeals to every court in the land and those that are not. It's easy for any of these government bodies to say they are short staffed and short funded but are they making the best use of and maximising the resources they have, there is so much waste in a lot of these government dept's and some of the incompetence and lack of communication beggars belief

Sure they'll hit a few and round some up but word soon gets around and they'll start to go to ground. Don't forget, going from a lot of illegals that have been caught they're often kept hidden by people who are using them as slave labour. There was one caught round our way a couple of months ago, he'd been traficced here and put to work in a cannabis farm. He wasn't allowed to leave and once a week people would drop food off for him.
A cop with a good sense of smell was his downfall. He's now back in Vietnam (or he was anyway)

Seen a few rounded up over the years and you just know that some will get back in without being challenged

"They could start by stopping all the appeals to every court in the land and those that are not."
Interesting. Everyone is entitled to the protection under the law, that includes the right to appeal to a higher court if a lower one has made an incorrect decision.
Or should we just do away with the tiresome and expensive legal system and lock everyone up who is suspected of a crime?
Maybe this is a subject for another thread though

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely an illegal is not suspected of a crime ,he is doing a crime .you get them ,hold them and within 3 days you deport them .
Now what is hard about that

"They could start by stopping all the appeals to every court in the land and those that are not."
Interesting. Everyone is entitled to the protection under the law, that includes the right to appeal to a higher court if a lower one has made an incorrect decision.
Or should we just do away with the tiresome and expensive legal system and lock everyone up who is suspected of a crime?
Maybe this is a subject for another thread though

You or I would probably never get the funding necessary that some seem to get to continue the appeals process they persue they seem to get into a never ending appeals loop that just perpetually goes on and on. I'm all for protection under the law but there has to be a limit

This mythical "they" which keeps being referred to. If someone is illegal and is caught they are out as soon as their country of origin is established.
The only people who are entitled to the protection of British law, and thus the right to appeal, are British citizens, those granted right of abode or leave to remain. .
I've never seen a case before the Court of Appeal which has involved an illegal.
I'm willing to be corrected though

This mythical "they" which keeps being referred to. If someone is illegal and is caught they are out as soon as their country of origin is established.
The only people who are entitled to the protection of British law, and thus the right to appeal, are British citizens, those granted right of abode or leave to remain. .
I've never seen a case before the Court of Appeal which has involved an illegal.
I'm willing to be corrected though
sorry but they should be put on the first boat or whatever out of the country, there is free travel within the eu so get them off the island

The debate is sliding from free travel of eu citizens and about the inwards migration of african and aisan asylum seekers. Failed asylum seekers should be removed as soon as final appeal has failed

The debate is sliding from free travel of eu citizens and about the inwards migration of african and aisan asylum seekers. Failed asylum seekers should be removed as soon as final appeal has failed
There are several Hard right wing enthusiasts here, any debate ends up talking about African asylum seekers, even if we are talking about white women becomming leaders of their parties lmao.

No it hasn't ... we are still paying the 1.7 but due to the delay it has been offset by rebate we were going to get anyway next year.... smoke and mirrors, nothings changed except the dates, they have not made a victory by halving the amount, that was a given anyway. Had we payed 1.7billion on dec 1 then net year we still would have got the 850million rebate, all the goverment has done is use the rebate that was already known to be coming and make it look like a victory for Cam' ..... its treating the public as stupid and tbh most are but it offends me that they think we wouldn't see through it.

Reply to Should the UK pay up? UK told to pay £1.7bn extra to EU in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net