Discuss Smart EV charger requirements in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
I install EV chargers, often under the OLEV scheme. next year all chargers subsidised by the government will have to be 'smart' we all know how the smart meter roll out is going! but it seems only a matter of time before they determine that cars can only be charged at certain times etc or must be linked to the smart meter's other can talk to one and other. be like the old eco7 radio signals!
What do people think? it will push the cost of a lot of the basic chargers up but the higher end ones like Evbox are already meeting this requirement. Rolec have just put up the price of the current ones by around £150 due to the new rcd requirements.
All government funded home chargepoints for electric vehicles must use innovative ‘smart’ technology from July 2019, the government announced on 14 December 2018, fulfilling the commitment in the Road to Zero Strategy published earlier this year.

This means chargepoints must be able to be remotely accessed, and capable of receiving, interpreting and reacting to a signal. Smart charging can reduce peaks in electricity demand, reducing the impact of electric vehicles on the electricity system – and keeping costs down for consumers by encouraging off-peak charging. We will publish the new minimum technical specifications, updated guidance and information detailing our implementation process in early January.

Note that the current EVHS grant rates are committed until March 2020, or until 30,000 installations in 2019/20 have been supported, whichever is sooner. Current WCS grant rates are committed until March 2020.

Thank you,

Makes sense to have the chargers externally controllable if everyone is eventually going to end up with a vehicle requiring charging.

The dnos are working along the lines of electric vehicle batteries being a store of energy which could potentially be drawn on during periods of heavy demand. Would need a smart meter for that

I install EV chargers, often under the OLEV scheme. next year all chargers subsidised by the government will have to be 'smart' we all know how the smart meter roll out is going! but it seems only a matter of time before they determine that cars can only be charged at certain times etc or must be linked to the smart meter's other can talk to one and other. be like the old eco7 radio signals!
What do people think? it will push the cost of a lot of the basic chargers up but the higher end ones like Evbox are already meeting this requirement. Rolec have just put up the price of the current ones by around £150 due to the new rcd requirements.
All government funded home chargepoints for electric vehicles must use innovative ‘smart’ technology from July 2019, the government announced on 14 December 2018, fulfilling the commitment in the Road to Zero Strategy published earlier this year.

This means chargepoints must be able to be remotely accessed, and capable of receiving, interpreting and reacting to a signal. Smart charging can reduce peaks in electricity demand, reducing the impact of electric vehicles on the electricity system – and keeping costs down for consumers by encouraging off-peak charging. We will publish the new minimum technical specifications, updated guidance and information detailing our implementation process in early January.

Note that the current EVHS grant rates are committed until March 2020, or until 30,000 installations in 2019/20 have been supported, whichever is sooner. Current WCS grant rates are committed until March 2020.

Thank you,
I'd not heard of this before your post. The cynic in me says that the Government may want the ability to turn off charging. bit of a consipiracy theory I know, but it's a heavy control tactic!

I’m no electrician by any stretch of the imagination, but had a Pod Point home charging unit for my EV installed in March 2017. The unit is a 3kw one, and my car has an onboard 3.3kw charger. I’m possibly changing my car to one with a 6.6kw onboard charger, but will need my home Pod Point upgrading to a 6kw one to make use of the possible new cars onboard charger. Pod Point want £750 for the privilege, but said they don’t upgrade the speed, but install a whole new 7kw unit, rather than just upgrade the Pod Points internals.
Is it easy to upgrade by an electrician, and if so, how much, and can anyone recommend one?
Thanks in advance.
Simon.

Reply to Smart EV charger requirements in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net