• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Smart lighting 3 core to switch

Discuss Smart lighting 3 core to switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

adsmith

Active EF Member
In the coming weeks I will be re-wiring my home. For the lighting circuits i will be using 1.5mm cable. ideally I would like to run the feeds to and from each light switch so that there is a neutral at the switch for smart lighting. However to avoid more damage/decoration I will be using the existing conduits in the wall to each switch but they are not big enough for the extra cables (feed in and out) so my thought is to run a 3 core to each switch (Live, switched live and neutral) would this be satisfactory for the new regs? Also if I fail to even fit the 1.5mm 3 core in the conduit would it be wrong to run the switch cable in 1mm and the feed cables in 1.5mm?
Cheers

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
best way is to 3 plate at the lights, drop a 1.0mm 3 core from each light to it's switch. that way you only have 1 cable in each switch drop tube and still have N at both light and switch. and why 1.5mm? 1.0mm is more than adequate unless you're fitting high wattage tungsten lights.

adsmith

Active EF Member
Spot on cheers for the quick reply lads. 3 plate at lights it is with 1mm drops. And yes your right with LEDs these days I suppose 1mm is adequate. I’ll do some workings out today. Cheers again

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
1.0mm was perfectly adequate before LEDs came along too, why do you think its not?
maybe he's still got some red/black 1.5mm he needs to use up.

Reactions: DPG

Official Sponsors

Electrician Talk

Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript![ ? ]