Discuss Socket ring main causing flickering lamps in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all

To start off, there’s been no work on the ring main for 8 years or so. (Other than having a smart metre fitted about 12 months ago)

Yesterday afternoon I noticed a buzzing from a plug socket. I unplugged what was plugged in thinking it was the appliance and didn’t think anything more of it because the buzzing stopped.

Last night switched on some lamps plugged into other sockets but on the same main and they started to flicker. Going around the house, things flickering on that same circuit. Even a fused switch, the little red light was flickering.

I reduced what was plugged into the circuit and the flickering stopped. It seems it can’t take more than a couple of items plugged in.

We have 2 ring mains for the circuits and the other is not affected so I don’t think it’s the supply. Yeah

So, seeing this is something that has just started without anything being messed with, could it be the RCD needing replacing?

The RCD hasn’t tripped. I’m thinking seeing it’s not 1 socket causing it, the short could be on the board.

Any advice of where to start testing would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Yesterday afternoon I noticed a buzzing from a plug socket.
that's possibly where there is a loose connection.

my local landlord has a sign up for whenever wives ring.

he's not here..... £2

haven't seen him all week..... £5

he's not been in since Xmas.... £10

Who? ........ £20

Loose termination that will need sorting out sooner rather than later.

Arrh yes, yes be been expecting you
Socket ring main causing flickering lamps {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks for (some off ;)) the replies.

I’ll check that socket, however I don’t think it’s that as flickering is happening on other sockets.

I’ve not tried plugging in the same appliance to other sockets to see if it buzzes else where.

If it’s possibly the consumer unit, would could cause the issue after several years? It’s not in a heavy Traffic area or any reason for a wire to be pulled or knocked.

there is a poor connecttion somewhere,
upstream of every common thing
reducing the load is a temporary fix only
you need to find the place where it is probably arcing
if you don't the chances of a fire are very real !

James Bond?
More like Craig Revel Horwood
Socket ring main causing flickering lamps 350B4140-1294-45AE-B2B5-203F88015D48 - EletriciansForums.net

Sorry, mate.

Agree with above. Loose connection on the circuit which needs identified and fixed pronto.
Are you sure it doesn’t happen on other circuits? Thinking loose tails on smart meter.

Please get a professional to do this. There’s too much that can go wrong to just DIY it

Faults like this can develop slowly fron a poor connection. The point where the connection is bad will heat up and expand when a load is applied and could gradually get worse. Once it starts arcing (this could be the noise you heard) it will get rapidly worse. This is the kind of fault which could, in the worst case, start a fire, so it should be identified and repaired as soon as possible.

If this turns out to be a fault in a socket and its affecting all the othee sockets (or most), then that could be a sign that there is another fault and the ring is no longer complete.

A good starting point would certainly be the socket where you heard the arcing (buzzing), but you really need to have some end to end testing, and loop impedance testing carried out to make sure the ring is still intact.

What work was carried out 8 years ago, and by whom?

You should get a professional in to diagnose and fix this fault for you. There are myriad reasons why this would be a better call than a diyer poking about.

my local landlord has a sign up for whenever wives ring.

he's not here..... £2

haven't seen him all week..... £5

he's not been in since Xmas.... £10

Who? ........ £20
I have to admit I don't really live in London and I am not male, I was undercover on here as I am really your wife and this post is really the last straw, I nearly forgave you the other day as I gave you £20 to fill up our van, but ohhhhhh no smarty clever clogs thought he could fool me by filling up with £15.02's worth of fuel and spending the rest of my hard earned on beer and posting it up on here.

Well to be honest I have had enough, and you won't be surprised to see your suitcase at the door.........

@OP.If you are in the south of Lancs., it's within my area of operation.

Reply to Socket ring main causing flickering lamps in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock