Discuss Sockets on Skirting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I should have said 12 inches

This is in the UK though, MW. If approved doc M applies it's 15 3/4 inches, although on this job it probably won't apply so the height can be whatever the customer prefers.

Arn't the heights given approximately only, or is it 12 inches to the top middle or bottom of a socket?
Mike to my knowledge we don’t have a requirement on height for sockets except new this year on Washing machines and dryers. We have to install the sockets above them so you don’t have to move them to unplug them

I try to leave a 100mm gap between the washing machine and the tumble dryer and close up the dishwasher on one side, the gap has a white skirting matching panel that the three sockets are on for the three appliance's positioned close to the wall and forms a tray slot, I have a photo on the system somewhere, but can't seem to find it at the moment, will look later and post it.

Last edited:
As always with these things, I could not find the original, so took another:

DSC01946.jpeg

It is Jack I should have said 12 inches. It’s sad but we just never did go with the metric system in school. All I know is 25.4 mm equals 1 inch LOL
me neither. when i went to school, we used metric system (MKS) in Science classes, but in wood work/metalwork/ etc. it was inches. our teacher was ex-RAF WWII Hurricane pilot. who said meters are for putting shillings in (nickels in USA).

me neither. when i went to school, we used metric system (MKS) in Science classes, but in wood work/metalwork/ etc. it was inches. our teacher was ex-RAF WWII Hurricane pilot. who said meters are for putting shillings in (nickels in USA).

When I went to school (finished mid nineties) we were taught both metric and imperial systems, but predominantly metric of course. I can get along with both fine enough but metric makes much more sense as a whole.

What doesn't make sense is the US practice of dividing inches up into units of 10 and 100. WTF ?

divide by 10 again and you get thousanths. used to be the univerasl base for engineerong, and still is when reboring engine blocks. ( as in bore out by 30 thou, and fit 30 thou oversize pistons).

My first position after leaving school in the early 60's was in a drawing office where the dimensions on the drawings where in imperial with the metric equivalent in mm in brackets underneath, the metric system makes more sense to me, but still to this day to visualise a distance it has to be converted to imperial in my head.

divide by 10 again and you get thousanths. used to be the univerasl base for engineerong, and still is when reboring engine blocks. ( as in bore out by 30 thou, and fit 30 thou oversize pistons).
Yes but that's when used separately to a whole inch no ?

It's things like this that make no sense to me. These are the dimensions of a 13" macbook, taken from Apple's website.

Height: 0.59 inches

Width: 11.97 inches

Depth: 8.36 inches

Weight: 3.02 pounds

Screen size: 13.3 inches

Yes but that's when used separately to a whole inch no ?

It's things like this that make no sense to me. These are the dimensions of a 13" macbook, taken from Apple's website.

Height: 0.59 inches.... finger thick

Width: 11.97 inches.....just under my size 9's

Depth: 8.36 inches..... length of my .... hand.

Weight: 3.02 pounds...mega burger with chips.

Screen size: 13.3 inches
yes, but seeing those figures, i can visualise the size immediately. if they were in mm, i'd need to get out a dual reading tape measure and read off from mm to inches.

yes, but seeing those figures, i can visualise the size immediately. if they were in mm, i'd need to get out a dual reading tape measure and read off from mm to inches.

True. I think my point is if you like dividing things into tenths there's an almost universal system that already exists rather than taking a unit traditionally divided into 4,8,16,32,64 bits and chopping it into ten.
It's almost as if using a decimal system makes much more sense. Queer bunch those Americans.

True. I think my point is if you like dividing things into tenths there's an almost universal system that already exists rather than taking a unit traditionally divided into 4,8,16,32,64 bits and chopping it into ten.
It's almost as if using a decimal system makes much more sense. Queer bunch those Americans.
Come on Andy and cut us some slack. All Americans are not a QUEER bunch and so we use decimal system. Don’t hate all Americans because I look up to y’all and nobody ever said we was perfect. Different countries different ways of doing things. im quoting your word WTF, that was uncalled for.

Come on Andy and cut us some slack. All Americans are not a QUEER bunch and so we use decimal system. Don’t hate all Americans because I look up to y’all and nobody ever said we was perfect. Different countries different ways of doing things. im quoting your word WTF, that was uncalled for.

I think my jokey remark may have been taken a little too seriously. A lot can get lost in translation over the internet and between cultures though. I meant no offence.

I think my jokey remark may have been taken a little too seriously. A lot can get lost in translation over the internet and between cultures though. I meant no offence.
It’s all good my friend. I just got home from working all day and seen that. I personally don’t like the way Americans do different things and speaking of decimal system when I took my test for my masters license and doing calculation questions we better know the decimal system but if it’s 8.56 you just round it up to 9 if it were 8.49 you would round it off as 8

Reply to Sockets on Skirting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net