Discuss Ring main questions. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

simonnew

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,
I’ve had some good advice here in the last week or so which has made me ask a few more questions.

1. Ring main uses the old Red and Black PVC cables, is it okay to add on to a ring main with newer cable ?
2. Is it the norm? to use Wago’s to split a ring main and extend ?
3. My sockets are located in the skirting board, once I‘ve chased the wall out is it deemed safe ( to use the hole in the skirting board as a location to split and store the Waco’s? ( with or without a Wago box)
(The first socket from the CU)

Just to mention I have my 2330, although I don’t work in the trade and if it’s not deemed safe then I am more than happy to get a qualified person in.

Thanks
20230526_222918.jpg

1. Old colours are fine to keep in service
2. Wagos are just one brand of product that can do much the same job as any other wiring terminal. They are usually a good choice for most situations, but they don't have magical powers.
3. All wiring junctions need to be suitably enclosed with the cables suitably anchored; you can't leave them dangling. The WagoBox is just one way of doing that, not always my favourite, but it has the advantage that when correctly executed in line with the instructions, it can achieve maintenance-free status which allows it to be installed in inaccessible places.

2. Is it the norm? to use Wago’s to split a ring main and extend ?

The norm is to do whatever is best for a particular situation.

The ideal way to do it is disconnect the cable between 2 existing sockets and extend the ring from those sockets, this avoids any additional joints.

Another option is to extend the ring from 1 existing socket so one new cable connects to one leg of the wring on that socket and the other will be jointed to the other leg of the ring in the backbox. This way the joint will be accessible and relatively easy to find in the future during any fault finding that may need to be done.

You can do as you suggest and add joints elsewhere in the ring but this can be a pain in the future, especially if those joints are hidden.

The norm is to do whatever is best for a particular situation.

The ideal way to do it is disconnect the cable between 2 existing sockets and extend the ring from those sockets, this avoids any additional joints.

Another option is to extend the ring from 1 existing socket so one new cable connects to one leg of the wring on that socket and the other will be jointed to the other leg of the ring in the backbox. This way the joint will be accessible and relatively easy to find in the future during any fault finding that may need to be done.

You can do as you suggest and add joints elsewhere in the ring but this can be a pain in the future, especially if those joints are hidden.
Thanks Dave 👍

As above try to avoid hidden joints , unless its the absolute last resort.

As DS says , best if you can split the ring in the back of the existing double socket , using wagos , inlines or what ever you have.
This can all be tucked neatly into the back of the box

The advice here is generally the same as that posted in your original thread.

Have you established yet if the existing installation is satisfactory? No point doing all this work, and paying to have a new board fitted, if it transpires that additional work is required.

I'd get the electrician who'll be fitting the board involved, to carry out basic testing, before extending any circuits.

The advice here is generally the same as that posted in your original thread.

Have you established yet if the existing installation is satisfactory? No point doing all this work, and paying to have a new board fitted, if it transpires that additional work is required.

I'd get the electrician who'll be fitting the board involved, to carry out basic testing, before extending any circuits.
Thanks for the reply nicebutdim.

I asked an electrician to check the cables which he did..I was told the cables are in good condition but having the sockets in the skirting board are a nusence.
Also there are a few junction boxes in the back living room so he suggested when repositioning the sockets I may aswell change the ring circuit which will get rid of the old junction boxes.

I haven't seen "safe zones" mentioned in this thread so far. All wiring, new or old* should be in one of the defined "safe zones", and RCD protected.

* If it was in a safe one before the repositioning or removal of a fitting.

I haven't seen "safe zones" mentioned in this thread so far. All wiring, new or old* should be in one of the defined "safe zones", and RCD protected.

* If it was in a safe one before the repositioning or removal of a fitting.

RCD protection covered in the other thread and image of chased socket indicates all good regarding zones. OP has an electrical qualification, so I'd expect familiarity with safe zones.

Reply to Ring main questions. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net