Discuss Solar farm earthing in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

yes that is sy going to the inverters but i know that that is wrong but thats not part of what i have been asked to do at the moment.is there a reg that disalowes sy out side or is it just the manufactures specification?

i havent seen any drawings just been instucted by a consultant from the firm that built it because the company that will be running it wont exept it as it is. when i have questiond what they have asked me to do ive just been told to get on with my work.

the earth wire goes to one of the steals that support the array

How the hell can you assess this new build solar farm's electrical installation without having the access to the drawings to which it was built too??

EDIT... What work remit exactly have you been instructed to carry out to this Solar Farm and why isn't a technical representative of the company that built it, not come to site to check for themselves what deficiencies (if any) are existing on this installation?? I don't suppose you know the details either, of why the other company are not
accepting the the installation as it stands??

Something sounds a bit fishy here!!

Manufacturers cable description will give you that, these SY cables are not UV protected and the outer transparent sheath will soon start to deteriorate. Some manufacturers will even state not to be used as prime current carrying conductors, they are designed in fact for control/machine wiring and the like....

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
IMO the installation is unsafe, unfit for purpose, should be immediately disconnected until redesigned and reinstalled by someone who knows what they are doing.

loplug, you cannot fix a broken leg with a sticking plaster.

i agree it should be redesignd and reconnected i cannot see them disconecting it as that would cost them money.

who broke there leg?

does any one know what the normall or an exepted methood of connecting the inverters to the supply?

Just to change the connection in the boxes from the first picture to the second picture. So disconnecting the earth neutral from the 4 pole isolator and resleaving then strip the blues leaving from the 95mm

Well without access to any drawings you can't very well say too much. I'd get on and complete the work contracted to undertake and submit your invoice, perhaps giving some written notice of anything that you consider as deficiencies that you have found. It's then down to this other company that is going to be responsible for the running and upkeep of this solar farm installation, if they are now happy or NOT with the limited remedial work you have provided?? .. lol!!

Reply to Solar farm earthing in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net