Discuss Solar Lighting in Detached Garage in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pgs1982

I live in an flat and have a garage in a detached block a short distance away. None of the garages have power and as there is a communal garden area between my flat and the garage so it is not possible to run a supply to the garage from the flats system. I would like to get lighting in the garage and 1 or 2 power sockets to occasionally power small low power items, it would only be used for 1-2 hours a day max. I have been doing a bit of research and this seems to be possible to do for c£150 with solar but am looking for comments from other who have tried something similar.

As far as I can tell I need:

• Solar Panel
  • Charge Controller
  • Inverter (for AC)
  • 12v Battery
  • Fuses, wires, fittings etc

I do however have some questions:

1. Most importantly, does this should reasonable or am I overlooking something important?
  2. I could have a DC circuit for the lights and an AC for the socket(s) but if I have an AC element would it be easier to run the lighting of the AC as well. I want to get a decent level of light am a bit concerned about the brightness/cost of DC lighting.
  3. Where do I need fuses in this set up? Are line-line fuses sufficient? If I run lighting and sockets from the inverter would I be better off with a small consumer unit or similar to isolate the separate elements?
  4. How should I earth the AC system? I assume this is required.

Any help and guidance gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

the easiest and cheapest way would be to buy an inverter and a couple of leisure batteries.

So I take it you cant get a power cable using a catenary wire from your flat to your garage?

The "washing line" would have been the first option but the management company won't permit it and it likely to also be ripped down by local kids.

I'm thinking of starting with a inverter and battery, then maybe add solar later as a means of charging the battery and save carrying it to and from the house.

Quite easy to achieve this but your budget is hopeful! First you need to identify the maximum load you will draw via the inverter to size that correctly. Then your total load for each session. If it is occasional use then you can just provide enough power for that session and give the battery time to recover. If you want to take it to the edge of battery capacity a cheap leisure battery will die pretty quickly. A deep cycle will recover from deep discharges. However they are heavier so cost more.
I would not run anything off an inverter unless there is no option as all power drain is depleting your battery life. LED 12volt directly off the controller will give you plenty of light. A 10watt bulb is amazingly bright (E27 fitting) or several 5 watts or 3 watts. An MR16 can be used in correct fitting.
I can assist with specifying this if required.

Earthing is a separate issue for an expert on earthing. Inverter is floating earth but some devices will want to see a proper earth connected.
Inverters come with an earthing point.
So you can't really work out a cost until you have worked out what loads you are covering.

- - - Updated - - -

Maplins has a good selection of inexpensive inverters and solar battery chargers / charge contollers.

Run the lights as DC led's (caravan / marine stuff) make sure you charge the lithium batteries for your power tools at home :) wear thermal underwear in winter, and an inverter off the batteries for what you must run as AC.

If the kids would nick the power cable, not sure how long the panel would last...

Why do you need to charge lithium batteries at home? A decent inverter will charge them no problem?
IMG_1464_zpsfe5d3198.jpg Photo by freddyuk1 | Photobucket

Cabin(garage) wired up for battery supply with DC lighting off controller.
Solar Panel Photo by freddyuk1 | Photobucket
Inverter Photo by freddyuk1 | Photobucket
Battery Photo by freddyuk1 | Photobucket

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you need to charge lithium batteries at home? A decent inverter will charge them no problem?
http://s1145.photobucket.com/user/freddyuk1/media/IMG_1464_zpsfe5d3198.jpg.html

Cabin(garage) wired up for battery supply with DC lighting off controller.
http://s1145.photobucket.com/user/freddyuk1/media/IMG_1379_zps7c9088fe.jpg.html
http://s1145.photobucket.com/user/freddyuk1/media/IMG_1377_zpsb556fea1.jpg.html
http://s1145.photobucket.com/user/freddyuk1/media/IMG_1375_zpse92d567e.jpg.html

Reply to Solar Lighting in Detached Garage in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net