Discuss solid fuel help in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

diditrain

-
Arms
Reaction score
I don't normally work on these types of system but I have been asked to have a look at one.
There is a Rayburn solid fuel stove fitted giving pumped central heating and gravity hot water. The heating engineer has fitted a normally closed two port valve on the main branch/primary pipework to the cylinder. He says that when the cylinder stat calls, the valve should motor open, thus allowing the heated water into the cylinder and when cylinder is satisfied the valve shuts, enabling the heating side of things to operate.

He has also fitted a normally open valve to work in conjunction with the heat leak side of things i.e. heat leak only works in an overheat situation so as to prevent unwanted heat loss and so the DHW will heat up more quickly.

Apparently the system worked well with the original stove-not the newly installed rayburn fitted. Existing controls before rayburn, were - time clock and pump. No valves.

The valves and heatleak were an after thought as it has been over heating and the customer had to keep running her hot water tap to stop the pipework from banging and clanking.

My question, is this valve set up an acceptable way of doing a system like this?

Just to add,the rayburn has an integral low limit stat and the heat leak is fitted in the same cupboard as the cylinder, right next to the stove.

A HIGH LIMIT thermostat should be fitted to the gravity flow pipe close to the boiler and set at 90°C. This should override any pump control, switching the pump on and dissipating any excess heat around the radiator circuit.
To prevent boiler corrosion due to condensation it is necessary to maintain the return water temperature above 45°C. This can be achieved by the use of a LOW LIMIT thermostat on the return pipe from the hot water cylinder, close to the boiler. The thermostat should make on temperature rise, preventing the circulating pump from operating until the gravity circuit is up to temperature.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Heat leak should work with no electricity.
N/Closed valve is O.K
Relying on a pump is not.

Is the Heating Engineer HETAS registered,? if so he knows what he's doing.
If not, he shouldn't be doing any of it.

There should NOT be any valves,electric or manual,on the gravity side.
Full stop.

There can be valving on such systems as Loading Apparatus,designed to keep return temperature above a set amount,but all these systems are "Fail-safe".

There are few plumbers left,who can design and install a legitimate,gravity system,modern properties making the fitting of long runs to fall,of 28mm,a tricky task.

The CH circuits,will inevitably require a pumped set-up,but this is enabled WITHOUT having to negate the default to safety on the gravity side.

I bumped into a lad fitting such a system,a while back,and he was quite put-out,regarding me calling him a plumber.
"I'm not a plumber,i'm a heating engineer",he retorted.

His explanation of how a gravity circuit functioned,and the 6 leaks that followed,was evidence of him being neither...

NB: Just in case anyone is looking for an argument...my first line obviously excludes unique gravity system components such as gravity flaps,injector tee's etc,accepting experienced installers understand their function.

Last edited:
Thank`s for the diagrams and replies guy`s.
I had also come across the diagrams on the net. What was concerning me was the fact that I don`t know enough about the pipework side of things to argue the point with the H/E.

Reply to solid fuel help in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net