Discuss spotlights/downlights 240v or 12v??? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

isitnow

Hi guys just wondering about the advantages and disadvantages of the two. Obviously energy consumption and price being the most obvious points. A collleague told me that the light given off by the 12v type is very poor and recommended the 240v, just want to hear other opinions before i go ahead and buy the 240v type. Also make/brand recommendations are welcome as i dont have experience installing these.

Also anything else i need to consider for example any precautions of the heat given off the 240v type etc.

(the downlights im reffering to are the ones that are sunk into the ceiling to then be flush with the ceiling just to be clear)

Thanks guys

Low energy mate, The 230v kick off some heat. With all the insulation in lofts these days it causes problems..
And Horray i bet Tele!!!!!!!!

Well standby for perhaps 3 pages of replies and about a 60/40 split.

Basically some will say that v better as no transformer, others will say that they installed ELV ones 8 yrs ago and everything is still working fine, so take your choice. Mine is 230v for a transformer is just another part that can go wrong, and you may not be as lucky as get 8 yrs out of it.

Your mate as got it the wrong way round, usually the 12 volt ones give a better light, but now you will get guys saying that 230 have improved. For me still 230v as the difference in light is really minimal.

Heat the 12volt ones do produce more heat, and in the past they have burnt out their holders or at the worse made them loose and not light. for me I prefer the GU10 bayonet 230v type as it just seems to be a better mechanical fit than sticking 2 conductors in a small hole.

So as you can see I'm 230volt but you will soon see that there is going to divided theme.

Then of course your going to get the LED over the Halogen debate

Personally if it were my house I would fit neither as I don't like them.

Last edited:
haha ye im expecting a bit of a debate about them
i agree th gu10 are a much better fit. the last two posts are conflicting which produce more heat?
I have heard stories of the transformers burning out and having to be replaced so i was leaning towards the 230v as said less to go wrong
malcolm why do you not like them is it just the look or the general quality and faults?

Both get very hot!, burnt fingers to prove it lol. 230V for me, more versatile when you want to convert to other lamp types and less to go wrong. The diameter of many 12v lights are slightly less than a 230V equivalent.

Last edited by a moderator:
They have improved a lot since my absolute hatred of them, so i've gone really from over my dead body to a not in my house lol.

To me they are what the tin say "spot" lights and they light a spot. The newer lamps do have a better deflection but still for me not enough to change my mind. OK before LED and CFL ones you needed say 6-8 50watt units to replace perhaps the same light a 60watt candescent lamp gave you.

Again now with LED and CFL that have made them "cooler" in temperature. But if your using halogen you are literally putting a electric heater in your ceiling, if someone posted I want to sink an electrical bar fire in my ceiling we would have been up in arms.

Finally what do you do when you want to replace them with another fad. You are left with 6-8 63mm holes in your ceiling. so take a rose off bit of pollyfiller, take downlighters down and it's a major project.

Brands cheap and cheerful Aurora, JCC, Halolight, CED, Click, Expensive because they look better reggiani, Illuma, Guzzini, Disano.

i much prefer the GU10 - same as malcolm says - its just a better feel when they click into place. I always recommend the LED lamps now for the heat reasons (and the fact they use an eight of the electric and i'm as tight as a ducks ...) My preferred make is the Robus ones - good terminal blocks to wire 2 x 1.5's in, with good solid cable clamp too! I always get fire rated ones now too, the prices have gone down from when they first came out. The Ansell cage type fire rated ones are good if you are not using leds (depending on the insualtion above ) as they let some of the heat out to prolong lamp life and if there is a fire the curtain on the side expands and gives the fire protection. I think malcolm is right about the heat, i am sure the 12v are slightly hotter running temp, i agree with the point that the transfromer is just another thing to go wrong!

240v due to the fact that they can be converted into LED's easily at any time, if you have no plans for LED's then LV give off a better cleaner light. .... oh and most GU10 LED lamps can't be dimmed.

Ste

This has been covered a few times

Im with 12v, they give a much better crisper light, transformers are like ÂŁ1.50 each, ive had 5 years out of my 12v fittings/lamps and transformers and they are still going now, so not going to grumble when a transformer finally go's

230v ones i have installed in my hallway are forever popping lamps, even when buying more expensive lamps

LED lamps are god damn awful and dont provide the same warm ambience, yeh granted they are energy saving but in my opinion they are too clinical and restricted

so what are 12v for , special locations and the likes. ive used them in cabinet lighting above kitchen worktops thats all to date. wee 35mm ones .

any other reason to specify them

I would use wide angle dimmable LEDs, so they light up the room rather than the halogen ones which unless you have a very high (3m+) ceiling will just light up patches of the floor.

As for voltage preference it makes little difference - a tonne of bricks weighs the same as a tonne of feathers.
If it were a choice between the two I'd go for 230v as well so you don't have to mess about with transformers or those stupid pin connections.

Reply to spotlights/downlights 240v or 12v??? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net