Discuss Starting my own business, Part P advice needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

V

Victorcrane

Hi folks, I've been working for a firm for the last four years dealing with all manner of lv electrical work, but after redundancy I decided to set up on my own. I'm currently working primarily in domestic and signing my jobs off through the firm I used to work for as my old boss has helpfully allowed me to do this, and as it happens I'm still his only NIC QS, but I wish to register with NICEIC myself and get working independently.

I'm basically unsure of the part p situation. Does everybody have to have it? Are there different levels of the course? Some seem to be £500 and some over a grand but it seems a lot are for kitchen fitters who want to pretend to be sparks, and since I'm already fully qualified that wouldn't be relevant to me. Any advice on the matter would be appreciated as I really don't know where to go with this.

Many thanks. Vic.

as far as i know part p was only intended for 'kitchen fitters' and the like. not fully qualified electricians. i might be wrong mind you.... however i do believe you have to register to NICEIC ofc.

all you need to do is join niceic or 1` of the others. part p is not a qualification, it's a building reg.​ if you search the forum you'll find loads of past threads which will terll you all you need to know about part pee.

Oh that's fantastic news, I just got a little worried because each year when I had my NIC assessment the field engineer made a really big deal out of seeing the company Part P documentation so I assumed it was something I had to have. You know how the powers that be like us to jump through hoops, I still don't have a JIB card because they want a grand off me for an NVQ3, which I absolutely refuse to shell out.

all part p will mean to you is that for notifiable work ( in domestics only, not applicable to com. and ind.) you certify as normal on a niceic cert., then notify niceic on line ( cost about £2/job) and they notify building control for you.

I am highly relieved at the thought of not shelling out that money. I'm glad I checked because a number of builders have informed me I had to do a course. I was hoping they were wrong.

yep as your prob aware, any work done in a domestic property must be done by a part P regestered, comp person. weather your fully qualled spark or a kitchen fitter. if your the latter think you can only be domestic installer, if your a spark then you can be full scope. helps if you have your test & inspection.

I have 2330 level 3, AM2, 17th edition, 2391. I'm hoping that ought to be plenty! So do I just need to register in some fashion or will that be taken care of within my NIC registration?

yes it's more than enough. and when you apply to join nic ( or elecsa or napit) they will tell you all the requirements for membership, PL insurance, and other red tape you will need.

Reply to Starting my own business, Part P advice needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net