JIB Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ECS) Starting up properly.... the expense and minefield of regs begins...

Discuss Starting up properly.... the expense and minefield of regs begins... in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all.

Sparky all my days (but worked in a different industry the last 5 years). Full 17th edition, 2394 and 2395 Testing and inspection. ESC Gold card.

Covid has killed my existing job, and at 53, I am struggling to find something new.
So... do I go back to full time sparking? Ideally not, but means must.

But, I am VERY rusty on some points. Advice VERY gratefully received

1/ Planning to do my 18th edition online. No real issue there I don't think
2/ Do I need 18th edition to be able to register with Stroma/Napit/NIC etc?
3/ Who is the recommended body to go with? Stroma looked good, but did I read that they are no longer accepting applicants? Many years back I was NICEIC (hated them!)

My testing and inspection is beyond rusty. I did the course, and then pretty much never did any testing.
I could probably barely remember how to turn the tester on these days (oh yea, need to buy a new one of those as well)...
That is going to be an issue and the only way I will pick that back up is practice I would think + reading up.

I would assume I will have to start up, get some installations under my belt and get them certified by someone else or building control, and then once I have a few to 'show', have those inspected when I apply to a body?

My old and tired brains thanks you

If you want to do mainly domestic work then ultimately you will need to join one of cps scams , you can live without one by sticking to non notifiable work initially but sooner or later you will get asked to do board changes which require notification under part pee

its not worth going self deployed half hearted, you either go all in or I person ally wouldn’t bother and just get a job in Lidl instead

Which Competent Persons Scheme to go with?
NICEIC, as it is the most well known. Or Napit, as it's a bit cheaper.
Either way, you should make enquiries very soon as to what entry requirements are, as from September 1st it gets a lot harder to be accepted into a scheme due to changes in the Electrotechnical Assessment Specification.

Electrotechnical Assessment Specification?? ? What the heck is that

WHY do they keep making up this stuff? Just makes it hard those that do it properly (or at least try to), and makes no difference at all to the people that don't care.

The only works notifiable in England are: a new circuit, a consumer unit change, additions or alterations in a bathroom.

Yes, that is on domestic properties. What about commercial and industrial. I read a thread where they said that they worked in an industrial setting and the factory electrician was basically doing what he wanted with no certification. I thought the additions, DB changes etc applied to all settings?

I'm rusty...

Electrotechnical Assessment Specification?? ? What the heck is that

WHY do they keep making up this stuff? Just makes it hard those that do it properly (or at least try to), and makes no difference at all to the people that don't care.

Yes, that is on domestic properties. What about commercial and industrial. I read a thread where they said that they worked in an industrial setting and the factory electrician was basically doing what he wanted with no certification. I thought the additions, DB changes etc applied to all settings?

I'm rusty...
Part P is only applicable to domestic dwellings

The standards that must be attained are the same in all cases, however in England the building regs require notice of works, this is achieved through one of the scams - sorry I mean valuable CPS providers.

As for testing if rusty either get a tester, a copy of GN3 build yourself a bit of a test board (rings, radials etc) and go through the testing again and again until it al comes back (noting the changes in isolation procedures required since your qualifications) OR enrol on a testing course - around a weeks course, you will still need to practice etc, but it would focus the mind.

18th, etc, just buy the book and take the test.

Hello all.

Sparky all my days (but worked in a different industry the last 5 years). Full 17th edition, 2394 and 2395 Testing and inspection. ESC Gold card.

Covid has killed my existing job, and at 53, I am struggling to find something new.

3/ Who is the recommended body to go with? Stroma looked good, but did I read that they are no longer accepting applicants? Many years back I was NICEIC (hated them!)

My testing and inspection is beyond rusty. I did the course, and then pretty much never did any testing.
I could probably barely remember how to turn the tester on these days (oh yea, need to buy a new one of those as well)...
That is going to be an issue and the only way I will pick that back up is practice I would think + reading up.

I would assume I will have to start up, get some installations under my belt and get them certified by someone else or building control, and then once I have a few to 'show', have those inspected when I apply to a body?

That’s exactly how I feel…brain tired…I’ve just resigned from my QS job…lots of reasons for that.
ive always kept up to date with every aspect of electrical installation etc..getting more & more knowledge each day & @ W/E…too.
Put this into practice & nobody’s cares enough ..the draft Certs not filled out correctly or completely.Workmanship it’s not as it should be these days …getting ready for retirement I’m afraid.?

Hello all.

How did it go?
Did you get registered with a scheme?
Rather than get confused by all the different advice on a forum, I would ring either Napit, NICEIC or Elecsa (the only ones left) and ask them what they want.

If you plan just to do small domestic jobs then it may be best not to go through the hassle of getting registered with a scheme. However, if you plan to install consumer units, any new circuits, or any work in special locations (bathrooms), then you need to be registered, as these jobs are notifiable.

Reply to Starting up properly.... the expense and minefield of regs begins... in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net