Discuss Step down transformer enquiry in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TONI

Hi,

I am enquiring about choosing the right step down transformer in order
to use my USA steam cleaner. My steam cleaner specifications are as
follow:

110V
12.9Amps
1400W.

I would be very grateful, if you could kindly let me know which
transformer should I buy. Please note, that I have e-mailed already
the Steam cleaner manufacturer, inquiring about the above, but have
received no reply.

Please, kindly advise if this transformer, on the link below, might be suitable for my steam cleaner:
Portable Transformer with 2 Output Sockets 1.5kVA | NoLinkingToThis

Thank you very much for your time and assistance with this query.

Kind Regards,

Toni.

Sorry should have said step up transformer
But just look under transformers USA /Uk

Hi,

I am enquiring about choosing the right step down transformer in order
to use my USA steam cleaner. My steam cleaner specifications are as
follow:

110V
12.9Amps
1400W.

I would be very grateful, if you could kindly let me know which
transformer should I buy. Please note, that I have e-mailed already
the Steam cleaner manufacturer, inquiring about the above, but have
received no reply.

Please, kindly advise if this transformer, on the link below, might be suitable for my steam cleaner:
Portable Transformer with 2 Output Sockets 1.5kVA | NoLinkingToThis

Thank you very much for your time and assistance with this query.

Kind Regards,

Toni.

What you have linked to is a 55V - 0 - 55V site transformer. If you cared to read further you will see that it states the following.

Further Information

"Continuous rating: 750VA, intermittent rating: 1500VA."

Hi Sintra,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I have joined this forum because I need some assistance and expert knowledge. I am not an expert in this field and regrettably, have no idea.

I did read the specs of the link that I have included in my initial contact sadly,
"Continuous rating: 750VA, intermittent rating: 1500VA." does not mean anything to me.
This is why, I am in this forum to seek guidance from experts.

Sorry If I have bothered you with my query.

Why oh why, do people purchase US appliances for use in the UK??

Why oh why, do people purchase US appliances for use in the UK??

Hi,

I did not purchased it, it was given to me as a present.

Would you please, advise me and let me know what transformer should I buy?

Many thanks.

Hi Sintra,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I have joined this forum because I need some assistance and expert knowledge. I am not an expert in this field and regrettably, have no idea.

I did read the specs of the link that I have included in my initial contact sadly,
"Continuous rating: 750VA, intermittent rating: 1500VA." does not mean anything to me.
This is why, I am in this forum to seek guidance from experts.

Sorry If I have bothered you with my query.

Sintra gave you a good answer there which deserves a thanks in my book. Daz

The 1500VA intermittent rating of the site transformer means that it is allowed to supply that much power only for short periods, totalling 25% of the time, as this would represent typical use of a power tool. If the steam cleaner element operates for more than this 25% duty cycle, over a period of say half an hour or more, the transformer will overheat, as its maximum continuous rating is only 750VA.

Also, the site transformer will have an earthed centre-tap instead of an earthed neutral, this will not make any difference to the operation of the steam cleaner, but could affect safety in the event of a fault. I would suggest using a continuously rated 1500VA transformer with a more suitable earthing arrangement, however it is likely to be more expensive than another steam cleaner.

The reality of this is it will probably cost you more to buy a transformer to run this than it would to buy a steam cleaner UK friendly.

They advertise a very good one on the shopping channels ...well it seems the bees knees :thinking:

The other reality, (apart from the cost) is that you'll be humping a large and heavy transformer around the house with the steam cleaner. So whoever gave you this appliance as a present hasn't done you any favours. You'll be better off putting the unit on ebay and buying one from a UK outlet!!

Reply to Step down transformer enquiry in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net