Discuss Question for Experts - Step up / Step down transformer? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Mancho78

DIY
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I am writing to ask your expert opinion.
I bought online a disc repairing device (JFJ easy pro) to be used on my music cd collection.
Unfortunately I made a mistake and didn't notice it was a US version (110 v) and it came with a US 3-pin plug as well.
I live in the UK and I notice that the seller is based in the US, if I send back the item it'd cost me almost half of the price of the machine itself. It was clearly specified in the auction that it was a 110v version, so it's my fault, don't know how I managed to miss that.

Anyway, looking online I found some info about step up / step down transformers which can be found for £40 - £150.
The disc machine itself runs for a minimum of 10 secs and a max of 2 mins at time, with the vast majority of discs needing not more than 20 secs to be repaired (according to the reviews online).
I am just wondering do you think it could work if I buy a transformer to convert it to 220 UK volt? Or will it just blow the device?
Which things I need to consider and which kind of transformer shoud I buy in case it is possible?
And last but not least any brand you can advise in case it's doable?
Many thanks

Welcome to the forum mate.
Does the cleaner have a plate on it with electrical information on?
If so can you take a pic and upload it or tell us all the info.

as above. not a problem stepping down the voltage, a site transformer would do the job. but the frequency might be a problem US is 60Hz, we are 50Hz.

Hi, thank you.
Nothing on the device nor on the instructions booklet I am afraid. I am looking online to find more options.

Welcome to the forum mate.
Does the cleaner have a plate on it with electrical information on?
If so can you take a pic and upload it or tell us all the info.
[automerge]1588256584[/automerge]
I see. Is there any transformer which reduce the frequency as well to your knowledge?

as above. not a problem stepping down the voltage, a site transformer would do the job. but the frequency might be a problem US is 60Hz, we are 50Hz.

No ordinary transformers convert the frequency. But it might not be necessary because many products will work on any frequency. As above contact the manufacturers for advice.

Thanks a lot for this. I'll have a look at both models.
I am just a bit concerned regarding what Telectrix was saying about the herz.
Can the different frequency be an issue? Can it damage the device?
They haven't replied about the herz.

Don’t worry about the frequency, if you look at most domestic electrical appliances it will state 50/60Hz. I’m not going into AC theory but in the USA they use 60Hz while here in the UK we use 50Hz nominal frequency.

Don’t worry about the frequency, if you look at most domestic electrical appliances it will state 50/60Hz. I’m not going into AC theory but in the USA they use 60Hz while here in the UK we use 50Hz nominal frequency.

Bit of a blanket statement that. It will matter for some appliances.

Could you please express your concerns in more detail?

Nothing, assuming you know that his particular appliance will function correctly and safely at 50Hz. Not sure what detail you need?

Reply to Question for Experts - Step up / Step down transformer? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock