Discuss Help with American Power and Step up Converters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

simon999

Hey everyone,

I am currently about to head off to sea (working in the merchant navy) and plan on bringing my desktop computer with a 600w PSU and uses a conventional 220v 3 pin UK plug. The ship I'm going on uses a US 110v plug socket with both the US 2 pin and 3 pin US earthered socket. I went before and stupidly didn't bother with a convertor and naturally wasn't getting enough power and the computer did not work. I managed to buy a PSU from Sri Lanka which worked on 110v but did not have enough power to run my computer properly (it turned on but would restart if I played games or used powerful programs.) This time I have gone to the liberty of buying a 1000w transformer which turns the 110v US power of the ship to 220v UK. The transformer itself has a UK plug and can step down or step up (variable switch on back) and wondered if I can use a travel adapter to allow the transformer to plug into the ship's US sockets? If not, do I need to change the plug head to a US one? Many thanks to anyone who can help, I'm sorry if I have abused any rules on the forum but don't know where to ask anyone.

Hey everyone,

I am currently about to head off to sea (working in the merchant navy) and plan on bringing my desktop computer with a 600w PSU and uses a conventional 220v 3 pin UK plug. The ship I'm going on uses a US 110v plug socket with both the US 2 pin and 3 pin US earthered socket. I went before and stupidly didn't bother with a convertor and naturally wasn't getting enough power and the computer did not work. I managed to buy a PSU from Sri Lanka which worked on 110v but did not have enough power to run my computer properly (it turned on but would restart if I played games or used powerful programs.) This time I have gone to the liberty of buying a 1000w transformer which turns the 110v US power of the ship to 220v UK. The transformer itself has a UK plug and can step down or step up (variable switch on back) and wondered if I can use a travel adapter to allow the transformer to plug into the ship's US sockets? If not, do I need to change the plug head to a US one? Many thanks to anyone who can help, I'm sorry if I have abused any rules on the forum but don't know where to ask anyone.

look on the back of the power supply of your desk top.
if it is a dual voltage power supply it will have an inset slide switch
you will need to slide it to the opposite side
most desktop computers have this type of switch in the power supplies
if it does you can use a 110v style cord for your desktop.
if it does not you will have to get the correct adapter for it

Or buy one of the ones that automatically does this then you just need to use an adapter

Not all have this.

Some of the ones like mine do it automatically so no switch.

Idiots have set them to 110 and given them 230

Reply to Help with American Power and Step up Converters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net