Discuss Want to use shaver with 3-pin power supply in bathroom shaver socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

cfcman

DIY
Reaction score
I've just bought a Boots shaver and for some reason it has a 3-pin power supply instead of the usual 2-pin shaver socket cord. The power supply is rated at 100-240V 0.2A input/3W (3V/1A) output. The shaver socket has dual 110v/230v outputs.
Subject to the obvious caveat about proximity to water, would it be OK to plug the shaver's power supply into the shaver socket using a standard UK/EU plug adapter? i.e. is it likely to cause any damage to the internal transformer in the shaver socket?

Check the instructions for the shaver, although it seems ridiculous, it would seem that this shaver is not suitable for being plugged into a shaver socket in a bathroom.

Is it by chance a rechargeable unit that is designed to be charged outside of the bathroom?

Have you got a photo of the 3 pin plug or Boots model number
Yes here it is
IMG_20211109_174227781.jpg

Check the instructions for the shaver, although it seems ridiculous, it would seem that this shaver is not suitable for being plugged into a shaver socket in a bathroom.

Is it by chance a rechargeable unit that is designed to be charged outside of the bathroom?
It's a mains/rechargeable shaver - this is from the user manual:
"You can choose to use the shaver whilst connected to the mains supply with the supplied adapter or via its rechargeable battery (cordless operation)"

That requires a rated input of 200ma which shaver sockets generally are however you won't find an adaptor to fit a shaver socket so you can plug that in, if you did then the weight of it will just pull it from the shaver socket.

That requires a rated input of 200ma which shaver sockets generally are however you won't find an adaptor to fit a shaver socket so you can plug that in, if you did then the weight of it will just pull it from the shaver socket.
The power supply is extremely compact and lightweight, and I have some low profile UK/EU adapters which would probably hold it in place. I just didn't want to damage the electrics.

A shaver socket plug is not the same as a Euro plug the pin spacings are different and whilst it may fit it is not suitable. Why can't you just use a 13A socket to charge it.

A shaver socket plug is not the same as a Euro plug the pin spacings are different and whilst it may fit it is not suitable. Why can't you just use a 13A socket to charge it.
The user manual also says:
"it is recommended that the batteries are only re-charged once they have run down completely"

So it means that once every week or so the battery will probably die in the middle of a shave, and I'll need to decamp to another room, plug it in, and find a portable mirror to finish the shave. As there isn't a convenient room nearby with a power socket positioned close to a mirror it's not exactly convenient.

It’s maybe designed that way because the charger isn’t suitable for use in a bathroom. They will ensure it can’t be used in a bathroom by fitting a plug whose corresponding socket should not be installed in a bathroom.

As above, a euro plug is not the same dimensions as a shaver plug, and could damage the shaver socket if a euro to uk adaptor is used.

Mine lasts two to three weeks and indicates when a charge is needed so it shouldn't just stop.
I'm wondering how seriously I should take the instruction from the manual ("it is recommended that the batteries are only re-charged once they have run down completely"). If the indicator light comes on when there's still quite a bit of charge left in the battery, and it's a NiCad battery, then recharging when the light comes on could shorten the battery life pretty quickly?

I'm wondering how seriously I should take the instruction from the manual ("it is recommended that the batteries are only re-charged once they have run down completely"). If the indicator light comes on when there's still quite a bit of charge left in the battery, and it's a NiCad battery, then recharging when the light comes on could shorten the battery life pretty quickly?

It won't be a Nicad battery, don't worry.

I wouldn't worry about that bit, it still often appears in instructions long after it stopped being relevant. As above, this will not be NiCd because cadmium has been banned from electrical products for years. I would charge outside the bathroom when indicated.

That's pretty much by design. It's called built-in obsolescence. Once the internal batteries die, you buy a new shaver. I have a Philips shaver like that. I did not choose it for myself.

Reply to Want to use shaver with 3-pin power supply in bathroom shaver socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net