Discuss Structural Steel in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Following my threads about using structural steel for the earth...

Well, today was in the area and stopped by the office where the EV charger is going and they are building this building right next door to it, its exactly the same, I stopped and as it happens I managed to speak with the bloke who actually with his very own hands built the office the unit I will be working on.

Anyway, I thought you would like to see some photos of the construction of it so you can see how well its fixed to the ground.

He said there are well over 100 Bolts which are are massive bolts, not little things, they are connected to the ground with 400mm bolts into the concrete which each concrete chunk is 1000mm into the ground.

The Ra should be very good I would imagine. Ill be able to tell you on Saturday when I do the job.

2015-01-15 15.35.04.jpg2015-01-15 15.34.28.jpg2015-01-15 15.35.10.jpg

He said there are well over 100 Bolts which are are massive bolts, not little things, they are connected to the ground with 400mm bolts into the concrete which each concrete chunk is 1000mm into the ground

Are you saying the steelwork is attached to separate concrete pads and not a common raft slab??

These pics are ringing alarm bells ... not seen ground work left like this with the building already up, Im no Structural Engineer but something just seems wrong. :juggle2:

Looks very much like base plates are rag bolted to a footing. This may be ring beam design,sat on piles,or may just be a footing. Its' ability to provide a decent Ra will not have been a design factor. Ironically,the more slap-dash,the reinforcing is,breaching the curtilage of the concrete sections,the better your readings will be :icon12:

What happens when you find out it isn’t up the job. If there’s any form of membrane around the plinths your idea goes out the window.

I did have a closer look and they do appear to be direct bolted to the floor with nothing in between, the bloke said no they sit direct on the concrete and get bolted to the 400mm bolts, I would imagine 100 x 400mm bolts = min of 40 meters of contact would provide a good earth.

Should it not give an acceptable reading I will not power it up and ill put earth rods in as am making provision for earth rods when installing just in case. What i am doing anyway is running a 25mm earth from the charge point to the steel and bolting it to it just as good measure, so if it does give a good earth, so be it, but if not, ill then hook it onto sufficient rods.

I have the ground plans and know 100% that there are no pipes etc in the ground too which is good.

Looks very much like base plates are rag bolted to a footing. This may be ring beam design,sat on piles,or may just be a footing. Its' ability to provide a decent Ra will not have been a design factor. Ironically,the more slap-dash,the reinforcing is,breaching the curtilage of the concrete sections,the better your readings will be :icon12:

I asked about earth plates etc, and they said no, no such luck. It was helpful seeing this and actually speaking to someone who built it and bolted it all together, aleast I know enough about the structure now to give me some confidence in which was to go with it. Like I say, if it gives an acceptable reading, then so be in and my 25mm earth strap will just be a direct connection from the charger to the building, or if not, it will end up with rods.

Oh and if you are wondering why I am going over board and using 25mm, I have about 30m spare of it I found on a job, funnily enough that job I posted up a while ago where the house got turned into a drug den... and they used 25mm earth tapped into the main supply to feed the loft.

I thought I might as well put it to some use as I have no other use for it and it save me spending money on 16mm etc.

I did have a closer look and they do appear to be direct bolted to the floor with nothing in between, the bloke said no they sit direct on the concrete and get bolted to the 400mm bolts, I would imagine 100 x 400mm bolts = min of 40 meters of contact would provide a good earth.

Should it not give an acceptable reading I will not power it up and ill put earth rods in as am making provision for earth rods when installing just in case. What i am doing anyway is running a 25mm earth from the charge point to the steel and bolting it to it just as good measure, so if it does give a good earth, so be it, but if not, ill then hook it onto sufficient rods.

I have the ground plans and know 100% that there are no pipes etc in the ground too which is good.

That isn’t what I meant, a plinth can have a membrane between the substrate and the cast concrete. You could very well end up with a load of earth free blocks.

100 x 400mm bolts doesn’t equal 40m of effective electrode as they don’t go deep enough.

Talk to the construction engineer.

That isn’t what I meant, a plinth can have a membrane between the substrate and the cast concrete. You could very well end up with a load of earth free blocks.

100 x 400mm bolts doesn’t equal 40m of effective electrode as they don’t go deep enough.

Talk to the construction engineer.

Very true, I think the only way to know is to measure it really.

If I have to go back and put earth rods in, its not the end of the world, they don't exactly cost much, its more the hassle factor that the job is 30 miles away and not on my doorstep.

If I have to go back and put earth rods in, its not the end of the world, they don't exactly cost much, its more the hassle factor that the job is 30 miles away and not on my doorstep.

So long as you're not thinking about using those 3/8'' short thin twigs as earth electrodes!! You'll need at least two 5/8'' extendable rods coupled together at each rod location if you want to stand any chance of attaining a decent Ra value....

Going by the state of those photo's you posted of the other building under construction, you may well find that the ground around the building you're working on is full of rubble and building debris!! So be warned!!

I am sure it will be full of it so we shall see, hopefully it will not come to it and the building steel will be adequate.

I am armed with all the figures I need to achieve so should be ok, like I say, if it means I have to go back to put rods in, then so be it.

So long as you're not thinking about using those 3/8'' short thin twigs as earth electrodes!! You'll need at least two 5/8'' extendable rods coupled together at each rod location if you want to stand any chance of attaining a decent Ra value....

Going by the state of those photo's you posted of the other building under construction, you may well find that the ground around the building you're working on is full of rubble and building debris!! So be warned!!

in my best South West accent, "brashy"

As promised, I installed the car charger today, looks sodding good, I'm so pleased with it.

I disconnect the water bond at the water, I even disconnected the main earthing conductor at the cutout, and then just did a Ze to the Steel bond and got a result of 0.16 Ohms. Which is totally compliant in my book, I cannot see where else that figure was coming from other than the steel, I can only assume it was the steel structure.

I did however as I said I was going to, run a 25mm earth from the car charger back to the steel of the building too for good measure, 25mm only because I was given it and had it spare laying around.

Im happy, the customers happy, everyone's happy. A long day, but a job well done!

I had to dig a trench too, did it only 500mm deep, used a bit of 50mm suction hose for ducting. I have also left some 25mm coiled up under the ground just outside the charger in case it needed hooking up to a rod or two.
2015-01-17 15.32.32.jpg2015-01-17 18.55.42.jpg2015-01-17 13.40.53.jpg2015-01-17 15.32.27.jpg
2015-01-17 13.40.51.jpg2015-01-17 13.40.46.jpg2015-01-17 12.26.57.jpg

Reply to Structural Steel in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net