Discuss super bright desk lamp advise in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

phoenix71

DIY
Reaction score
i am a total newbie and ameteur , ive used just 1 rgb strip light,but i want to make a super bright desklamp using 4 of the modules, how do i connect 4 separate modules to go into 1 power socket? do i need a driver for them and if you have a web address in uk where i can get the items that would be fantastic,thanks in advance.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 15
Four modules like that? It depends if they are constant current or constant voltage devices.
surely the LED supplier has compatible drivers?
if you still not sure. Post a link to the LED module do we can look at the spec, and one of the brainiacs on here can make a wild guess.

Four modules like that? It depends if they are constant current or constant voltage devices.
surely the LED supplier has compatible drivers?
well so far its taken me a week to get some information from them, and the drivers is the information i have been waiting on, so any advise as an alternative supplier would be fantastic.

These guys are decent.
But there are 140 different drivers on this site. So you’ll need to know what the spec is otherwise it’s a bit like you asking, what tyre do I need for my car. Impossible to tell from just a picture.
again, I will ask
Post a link to the LED module do we can look at the spec,

These guys are decent.
But there are 140 different drivers on this site. So you’ll need to know what the spec is otherwise it’s a bit like you asking, what tyre do I need for my car. Impossible to tell from just a picture.
again, I will ask
thanks for your help link as requested

SOmewhat confusing still. The spec says 0.6w per light with a total current of 14.4W per set. My calculator says that for a 20 LED set (thats what you've got, yes?) the total current would be 20x.6 = 12watts. So the 14.4w would be if the set were 24 LEDs!

So lets err on the side of caution and allow 14.4 watts per set
for 4 sets thats 57.6 watts (you'll need a welding mask if you shine that lot on your desk). My garden floodlight is 10watt and it lights the whole garden.

From the above, and from the photos, the modules are wired in parallel so you'll need a 12 volt constant voltage LED driver that can deliver at least 57.6/12 = 4.8 amps at 12volts DC.
Thats a big driver. You may want to reconsider your module count!

You could use one of THESE

Last edited:
SOmewhat confusing still. The spec says 0.6w per light with a total current of 14.4W per set. My calculator says that for a 20 LED set (thats what you've got, yes?) the total current would be 20x.6 = 12watts. So the 14.4w would be if the set were 24 LEDs!

So lets err on the side of caution and allow 14.4 watts per set
for 4 sets thats 57.6 watts (you'll need a welding mask if you shine that lot on your desk). My garden floodlight is 10watt and it lights the whole garden.

From the above, and from the photos, the modules are wired in parallel so you'll need a 12 volt constant voltage LED driver that can deliver at least 57.6/12 = 4.8 amps at 12volts DC.
Thats a big driver. You may want to reconsider your module count!

You could use one of THESE
what if i just use 2 of them then? cheers,and what about connecting them as one and finally which wire is suitable as i will proberly need an extenson for the project,thanks again

For two you’ll only need half the power, so a smaller probably cheaper driver.
You connect them in in parallel to the driver. Cable size requirement is a function of current and distance. Assuming you only talking if a metre or two then I expect that 1mm flex will be fine.

Reply to super bright desk lamp advise in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net