Discuss Supply cable running through adjoining property. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

BigSi

-
Reaction score
Hi Guys.

Is there a specific reg regarding a supply cable to one cottage, being run through another privately owned cottage? Reason I ask is just completed an EICR on a vacant property, where its meter and isolator switch were installed in a recessed external meter box on the next door property (think they were both owned by the same person at one time, but have both since been individually sold). It’s run in 16mm T&E (undersized cpc), through I can only guess is the loft or internal walls. If there was ever an issue they would have to get permission from the neighbour to enter the property to gain access to the meter and isolator.

There is no specific item relating to the access of the distributers/supply intake equipment (like there is for the consumer unit), on the EICR for coding.

You will probably need to look outside bs7671 for your answer to this as it only deals with matters of electrical safety rather than ownership and access to equipment

You may find there is a wayleave or similar agreement regarding the routing and service position

I would be surprised if this has not been brought to the owners / buyers attention before if both properties have been sold previously

I dont know of a specific regulation, but if a distribution circuit to one property is routed through a separate property there may be issues for both parties. I would note it in section F as advise without a code, and include a note on it in the summary.

Thanks for the help guys. I think the plan is to get WPD to move the supply to the property, as from what I can gather, they can't secure there supply cables on one propety that then feeds another?

as from what I can gather, they can't secure there supply cables on one property that then feeds another?

Someone's looking at a big bill for a new supply, I doubt they'll move it for free.

It used to be very common on overhead supplies for the DNO to drop into one property then loop out the bottom of the head though the adjoining wall to the next one.

I know of Maisonettes where the meters are in the respective garages below and the link from meter to CU passes though the lower Maisonette in SWA to the Upper.
I know this as I drilled though one buried in the concrete floor...
The Water, Gas supplies and Waste pipe do the same thing.

It is very common here to have a whole row of terraced houses eves fed through the lofts from overhead supplies.
I have worked on some where the main fuse is in the adjoining property and the meters are back to back. I had the same thing in a chip shop where the supply to a detached bungalow was fed through the chippy and the main fuse was in the chippy.
I suspect that was one owner at one time.
All the years I worked there it was never a problem.

Someone's looking at a big bill for a new supply, I doubt they'll move it for free.

It used to be very common on overhead supplies for the DNO to drop into one property then loop out the bottom of the head though the adjoining wall to the next one.

I know of Maisonettes where the meters are in the respective garages below and the link from meter to CU passes though the lower Maisonette in SWA to the Upper.
I know this as I drilled though one buried in the concrete floor...
The Water, Gas supplies and Waste pipe do the same thing.
yes i drilled through a supply cable to next door that ran behind the consumer unit of the property i was changing the board at gave the electric board a call any they cam out and sorted it no charge , was a though years ago though :)

Reply to Supply cable running through adjoining property. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net