Discuss Supply to cabin in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sb8389

-
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm going to put a cabin on my garden which is going to be made into a hair salon.
im starting to confuse myself on how to run the supply in to the cabin.
current arrangement in house is a dual RCD consumer unit (plastic)
TNCS supply.
in the cabin there will need to be power for maybe 3 lights
3 heaters at probably around 2000w each
a water boiler supply
and probably a radial circuit for general power

i was was thinking to run a 10mm 2 core armoured supply terminating it into adapt box and running a 10mm T&E to the consumer unit
part of it will be buried
now I know I shouldn't be exporting the PME and should put the cabin on its own TT system
im just curious on best way to connect this back up at the house avoiding discrimination of RCDs
there will also be extraneous parts within the cabin ie water supply (would any bonding be required even though it's bonded within the house) probably a silly question.
i appreciate your thoughts but it's something I have not come across before.
any thing else you need to know just ask.

This subject is posted weekly, some might say daily. Perhaps you should search the subject first, as per below, and answer some of your own questions.

10mm cable on a 40A breaker should be fine for the loading you require.
Unfortunately, you WILL HAVE to TT your cabin as it has a mains water supply that will require a main protective bonding conductor from the TT supply. This is because it could introduce separate earth potential and if there is a fault on the supply neutral, all of your water heaters, taps etc would become live at mains voltage, giving your customers the hair style they would not want!
As for the discrimination, up to you! If I was quoting this job I would give you the two options of either that way. Or taking a new supply from the mains to a new C.U in the building. OBV not on 10mm tho .

Unfortunately, you WILL HAVE to TT your cabin as it has a mains water supply that will require a main protective bonding conductor from the TT supply. This is because it could introduce separate earth potential and if there is a fault on the supply neutral, all of your water heaters, taps etc would become live at mains voltage, giving your customers the hair style they would not want!
As for the discrimination, up to you! If I was quoting this job I would give you the two options of either that way. Or taking a new supply from the mains to a new C.U in the building. OBV not on 10mm tho ��.

That is an option, not necessarally the only one though, the house has a perfectly good earthing system, why would you side step it for a less reliable method?

@The OP - you are not allowed to extend your PME system, I think you meant extend your equipotential zone which you are allowed to do, 2 very different things in deed :)

Last edited:
As for the discrimination, up to you! If I was quoting this job I would give you the two options of either that way. Or taking a new supply from the mains to a new C.U in the building. OBV not on 10mm tho .

10mm might not be fine depending on installation method and length of run. Also the water main could be plastic and therefore wouldn't need bonding.

As for the discrimination, up to you! If I was quoting this job I would give you the two options of either that way. Or taking a new supply from the mains to a new C.U in the building. OBV not on 10mm tho ��.

do you have a crystal ball? How do you know the length of run.
A

10mm might not be fine depending on installation method and length of run. Also the water main could be plastic and therefore wouldn't need bonding.

Installation method is clipped direct and buried for about 5 metres, total run is about 10metres.
The water supply will be in copper so i will have to bond the water. TT apears to be the way then?

Ok fair enough. I would personally put it on a TT if it has extraneous conductive parts though.And yeah I agree, volt drop, length of run and installation method of cable should be taken into account of course. Guess I just assumed it was a small garden size

Hi guys,
I'm going to put a cabin on my garden which is going to be made into a hair salon.
im starting to confuse myself on how to run the supply in to the cabin.
current arrangement in house is a dual RCD consumer unit (plastic)
TNCS supply.
in the cabin there will need to be power for maybe 3 lights
3 heaters at probably around 2000w each
a water boiler supply
and probably a radial circuit for general power

i was was thinking to run a 10mm 2 core armoured supply terminating it into adapt box and running a 10mm T&E to the consumer unit
part of it will be buried
now I know I shouldn't be exporting the PME and should put the cabin on its own TT system
im just curious on best way to connect this back up at the house avoiding discrimination of RCDs
there will also be extraneous parts within the cabin ie water supply (would any bonding be required even though it's bonded within the house) probably a silly question.
i appreciate your thoughts but it's something I have not come across before.
any thing else you need to know just ask.

Why add unnecessary connections?

i suppose i could have a word with the plumber and see if he can put a plastic supply in.
Would this mean i dont have to TT the cabin then
The water heater will be around the 3.5kw area.

Yea partly above ground across the house then buried to the cabin..
Murdoch how would you say im best connecting the armoured into the consumer unit (the consumer unit is on an external wall)

Yea partly above ground across the house then buried to the cabin..
Murdoch how would you say im best connecting the armoured into the consumer unit (the consumer unit is on an external wall)

I would terminate the outer shealth of the swa into a Wiska box but then continue the inner cores through the wall directly to the CU.

Why would you use copper pipe to run a water supply to this cabin??? Does the plumber like hard work and risking burst pipes??

Water pipes should be buried at 600 / 800 mm down - not sure how anything above ground is going to be OK unless you want it to spring leaks every winter!

Reply to Supply to cabin in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net