Search the forum,

Discuss SWA sub main in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jimmer

I've been asked to carry out PIR on an idustrial unit on an old farm. The unit is supplied by a sub main and privatly metered. The sub main is a 35mm 4 core swa 3 phase and neutral on a 60947-2 100A MCCB i can see that the armouring on the cable is big enough to be the cpc but is this ok on a sub-main as this will be the main supply for the unit that i have been asked to do the PIR on?
I would always install a sub main with a seperate CPC or a 5 core SWA if i was installing it from new. By the way the main eathing is TNC-S.
Any help much appreciated

Size wise the copper equivalent size of the steel armour is just over 37mm so even if the argument arose that the MEC should be the same size as the supply neutral conductor (35mm) it would still be sufficient. Even though upto 35mm a 16mm MEC would comply.

The only concern I would have is the earthing and bonding arrangements at the unit end of the system. But as you are carrying out a PIR it's down to you to check and see if they comply or not.

Reply to SWA sub main in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Replacing DB’s with all singing all dancing RCBO’s Problem’s we have now…Existing installation consisted of DB Grd Floor.. DB 1st Floor…Grd Floor...
Replies
Views
Just wanted to know which people use. My case. Client converting attached garage into new rooms. Consumer Unit has to move to accomodate this...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Great to of found this forum. Much respect for keeping everyone safe! My background is in commercial data and Audio Visual. Been...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I wonder if I can get some opinion on my deliberations on an old TPN installation with numerous 1P sub-boards wired up with 16mm T&E...
Replies
Views
Was having a poke around the old man's house today. Anyway. DB is under stairs (18th ed following a recent extension. Not done by me but it's...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back