Search the forum,

Discuss Taped Up Smoke Alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

acvc

-
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the law says on deliberately disabling smoke alarms? I went back to a house I worked on earller this year. The owner has since then rented out a couple of the rooms to lodgers, and i couldn't help but notice that they/someone has put tape over the units in the kitchen and dining room and one in one of the lodgers' rooms.

Can tenants be fined or anything for doing this? Ok, so they don't givae a dam about their own, but what about other people's safety, neighbours etc.?

Does anyone know what the law says on deliberately disabling smoke alarms? I went back to a house I worked on earller this year. The owner has since then rented out a couple of the rooms to lodgers, and i couldn't help but notice that they/someone has put tape over the units in the kitchen and dining room and one in one of the lodgers' rooms.

Can tenants be fined or anything for doing this? Ok, so they don't givae a dam about their own, but what about other people's safety, neighbours etc.?

To be honest I'm not sure if they can be fined or not.

However I have stayed in hotels where signage has been inplace stating that people would be fined for messing with the fire alarm system.

Implimenting such a fine maybe differcult but signage stating that they would be liable to a fine may resolve the whole problem

Richard

The local fire station can be informed of an 'alledged fire risk' and they will visit property them selves or inform their Fire saftey team to pay a visit to property and then they will take any action they deem necessary

After reading your thread again it's not clear if the house has been divided up into single 'lets', has each door got a lock on it? If it has then this could be classed as a house of multiple occupancy and the fire brigade would be interested if not they can't really do much about it except advise tenants how dangerous this act of dissabling the alarms can be

Last edited:

Just inform the owner and the consequences of taping up the smoke alarms

Reply to Taped Up Smoke Alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net