Discuss Replacement for 670MBX smoke alarms in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a couple of hard-wired some alarms in a house that, I think, was formally council owned. I took a look and they are overdue for replacement, but a quick search suggests they were Safelinks brand (nothing on the actual product to say so) and no replacement is available. This is the rear of one of them:
old-smoke.jpg

What would folks suggest is the best solution? My own thought was to put in Aico hard wired ones but also would like to extend to other rooms via the wireless option (as too much trouble for me to try and add more cables in the roof) so suggestions if possible one models to make that happen.

TL;DR best option for obsolete wired alarm

One option is to replace with AICO EI146RC, but use an EL168RC base for one of them.
The EL168RC base can act as a bridge between wired interconnected and wireless.

Then use the same EL168RC base for any new wirelessly interconnected ones (taking power from nearby lighting circuit)

(The compatible heat alarm is EI144RC btw)

fitted 4 the other day or go for the hi spec one might be cheaper .
I've got to admit I've not tried the newer ones yet, I tend to stick with what I know (please no-one mention the Fireangel experiment!!)
I believe that using that newer product line, you'd fit Ei3016 units and pop a Ei3000MRF module into one of them.

And both products for any future wireless ones.

Thanks. The wireless side is almost certainly needed, I might be able to access P/L and N at the other lights but it might be a case of just going for a 10 year battery one for that if it proves too much troble to get a supply.

As Tim says use the 3016 as it has a built in rechargeable battery and takes the plug in rf link ,9volt battery’s are frowned upon in BS5839-6,and you never get woken up by smoke alarms beeping to replace the battery.

I think I would take the opportunity to go fully wireless with the Aico ones. Fast to fit, no need to bother with the existing mains supply, and easily extendable in the future.
Also, if the property is local, ie in Scotland, you can easily comply with the regs.
I have a small over-stock at the moment, so could do a deal on 2 heats and 4 smokes!

I think I would take the opportunity to go fully wireless with the Aico ones. Fast to fit, no need to bother with the existing mains supply, and easily extendable in the future.
Also, if the property is local, ie in Scotland, you can easily comply with the regs.
I have a small over-stock at the moment, so could do a deal on 2 heats and 4 smokes!
Yes, need the interconnection what ever way it goes.

Will PM you about the stock you have.

Reply to Replacement for 670MBX smoke alarms in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net