Discuss The regulations with regards to calculating Zs and Industry Good Practice. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

skyline2500cc

Hello Gents
Once again I’m looking for your expertise to resolve the following application.

A local supply Authority has supplied a single phase 8Kw TN-C-S supply via a cut out, to which we have to terminate a 35mm2 3 core SWA cable to be buried underground. The cable cannot be easily terminated and because we need to provide short circuit protection I was considering installing a 100-200 amp fused disconnector which would enable us to use crimped lugs to make the termination. I would then look to terminate the earth /neutral and phase and use the SWA gland frying pan to earth the SWA.
Question:
Does anyone have any ideas of the best way to do this other that what I am considering.
At the end of the 35mm2 cable we have to feed two sub circuits one is for a consumer unit for lighting and power max load < 3Kw and the other is via a 50mm2 cable to another consumer unit max load <5Kw.
Question
1. The consumer unit will be about 500mm away from the terminated end of the 35mm2 cable, do I need to provide short circuit protection for such a short run.

2. The second sub circuit will be 400 meters long using a 2 core SWA XLPE cable and will use the SWA as the CPC. I have the same problem as before. If we keep the consumer tails short enough do we need to provide short circuit protection and if so what’s the best way of doing this.

3. Finally we are looking to check the earth loop impedance of the sub circuit by way of calculation which is as follows
1. Cable 1 from origin of supply 3 core 35mm2 XLPE buried underground 200 meters long. Short circuit protection by way of BS 88-3 fuse. Measured Ze value 0.35 Ohms max load <3Kw
2. Cable 2 from the end of the 35mm2 cable will have a BS88-3 fuse and will use the SWA as the CPC. The CSA of a 50mm2 2 core cable is 74mm2 as detailed in table 54.7 max load < 5Kw

As Zs =Ze +R1 +R2 how do I go about checking by way of calculation what the Earth loop impedance is from the point of origin to the furthest consumer unit when I have two different size cables with one using a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] core as the CPC and the other the SWA
It will probably become obvious when someone points it out
Cheers
Skyline 2500cc

Just to clarify the second cable is required to be 50mm2 to comply with the 17th regulations and ideally will be a 2 core using the SWA as the CPC

Hello Gents
Once again I’m looking for your expertise to resolve the following application.

A local supply Authority has supplied a single phase 8Kw TN-C-S supply via a cut out, to which we have to terminate a 35mm2 3 core SWA cable to be buried underground. The cable cannot be easily terminated and because we need to provide short circuit protection I was considering installing a 100-200 amp fused disconnector which would enable us to use crimped lugs to make the termination. I would then look to terminate the earth /neutral and phase and use the SWA gland frying pan to earth the SWA.
8Kw can you clarify this as DNO deal in KVA usually?
Question:
Does anyone have any ideas of the best way to do this other that what I am considering.
At the end of the 35mm2 cable we have to feed two sub circuits one is for a consumer unit for lighting and power max load < 3Kw and the other is via a 50mm2 cable to another consumer unit max load <5Kw.
Question
1. The consumer unit will be about 500mm away from the terminated end of the 35mm2 cable, do I need to provide short circuit protection for such a short run.
What do the reg's say on this...? + explain more...how do you get from your termination to the D.B.?

2. The second sub circuit will be 400 meters long using a 2 core SWA XLPE cable and will use the SWA as the CPC. I have the same problem as before. If we keep the consumer tails short enough do we need to provide short circuit protection and if so what’s the best way of doing this.

3. Finally we are looking to check the earth loop impedance of the sub circuit by way of calculation which is as follows
1. Cable 1 from origin of supply 3 core 35mm2 XLPE buried underground 200 meters long. Short circuit protection by way of BS 88-3 fuse. Measured Ze value 0.35 Ohms max load <3Kw
2. Cable 2 from the end of the 35mm2 cable will have a BS88-3 fuse and will use the SWA as the CPC. The CSA of a 50mm2 2 core cable is 74mm2 as detailed in table 54.7 max load < 5Kw

As Zs =Ze +R1 +R2 how do I go about checking by way of calculation what the Earth loop impedance is from the point of origin to the furthest consumer unit when I have two different size cables with one using a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] core as the CPC and the other the SWA
It will probably become obvious when someone points it out
Cheers
Skyline 2500cc

Skyline... your questions you ask are not just trimming your knowledge here but your more or less asking us how to do your job, I'm; like most are happy to help if your stuck on regulations and/or calcs but I requested you show your calcs in the last thread but you did not as it seemed you had got them wrong... that's why I never followed on with the help...you've only been a member a few weeks but are asking too many questions regarding the work your doing... this forum is good to trim your knowledge and nudge you in the right direction but it not for telling you how to do your job, you lack experience and need on-site guidance not a reliance on a website to get you through the day.. employ a competent contractor to work along side you and gain the experience the best way.....

If you have further questions please show calcs where possible and refer to regulations when you are asking if its allowable ...simply asking means your not helping yourself but expecting us to do it all for you...

Sorry to be blunt but we would like to see your understanding of the regulations and calculations when asking such questions...

Skyline... your questions you ask are not just trimming your knowledge here but your more or less asking us how to do your job, I'm; like most are happy to help if your stuck on regulations and/or calcs but I requested you show your calcs in the last thread but you did not as it seemed you had got them wrong... that's why I never followed on with the help...you've only been a member a few weeks but are asking too many questions regarding the work your doing... this forum is good to trim your knowledge and nudge you in the right direction but it not for telling you how to do your job, you lack experience and need on-site guidance not a reliance on a website to get you through the day.. employ a competent contractor to work along side you and gain the experience the best way.....

If you have further questions please show calcs where possible and refer to regulations when you are asking if its allowable ...simply asking means your not helping yourself but expecting us to do it all for you...

Sorry to be blunt but we would like to see your understanding of the regulations and calculations when asking such questions...

Exactly what I thought when I read the op. At least show us your own calculations skyline

600 Metres of cable and a Ze of 0.35 .... i wish you luck!!

50 mm 2 core SWA steel is ok (over a 400m run, i'd be inclined to calculate to see if it still complies) as the CPC but, if you have any extraneous metal that needs main bonding and it will NOT comply...

I could go on, but i think it's best to wait and see your response to darkwood's post....

600 Metres of cable and a Ze of 0.35 .... i wish you luck!!

50 mm 2 core SWA steel is ok (over a 400m run, i'd be inclined to calculate to see if it still complies) as the CPC but, if you have any extraneous metal that needs main bonding and it will NOT comply...

I could go on, but i think it's best to wait and see your response to darkwood's post....

I tried to help his other very similar thread and pointed out a few concerns and even got thanks but request for his calcs came to no fruition so it leads me to believe he missed my request or the more likely as his tally of questions mount - that he's taking on jobs out of his range of experience thus competence...so my best advice is for him to show his methods to confirm he has a good grasp of his calcs but just need a bit of help or and my advice of choice - he works alongside a seasoned Electrician/Engineer to gain the experience he is clearly lacking here.

A bit scary from someone with the tag of Electrical Engineer... I would be expect him to be given advice on this nature not asking it.

Last edited:

Reply to The regulations with regards to calculating Zs and Industry Good Practice. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net