Discuss Thoughts on moving an existing CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I’m moving the light at some point as well..

Switch is getting blanked off, new fridge is wider and will cover. Hoping I can pull cables up into that trunking to joint. (In a box, not joint in trunking)
Still a working switch at other door.
Wall is brick, so putting things on other side of wall could be messy.

View attachment 108540

First of all find out who fitted the ISO and modules Up Side Down. C2 incorrect install etc.

Is the non-diffuser flori unit the only light source.?? If so you could identify and isolate this radial at the DB and run new within the trunking using metal ties and run in conduit fixed to ceiling via PIR sensor to a 5’ LED IP unit. I say IP as it looks like an industrial chilling area.

First of all find out who fitted the ISO and modules Up Side Down. C2 incorrect install etc.

Only ever seen a couple of Merlin Gerin single phase boards, but pretty sure they're intended to be installed this way (as per 3 phase boards). Those I've seen even had the same isolating busbar used on their 3 phase boards.

I think the room had been wired before they thought about where the fridge was going.
Maybe the original unit was only one door, 3 drawers… and they’ve upgraded to twice the size, hence blocking access to the board.

Now they’re upgrading again… slightly larger unit. No more capacity, but around 8 inches wider… more insulation maybe??

The old unit is going up to their other premises. A garage where they keep the limos and 200 odd coffins.
Please show us that photo of the DB again.
And remember the ‘working in confined spaces’ H&E1972.

Can’t you organise with the client to do the job once they’ve removed the old unit. Gives you good access then, and run a temporary feed to the new unit placed elsewhere in the room.
I bet your dying to start this job.

Thanks for all the replies.

The room wasn’t planned well in the first place, but any fridge unit has to be located here so that there’s room in front for the trolley.

There’s 2 light fittings. He just wants this one spun round as it’s lighting up the top of the unit.
Will change to IP if asked for.

It’s not really classed as a “wet” room, but it just makes it easy to clean the walls.

There is a void down right hand side, due to a floor level pipe box, so might just need to use a few WAGO boxes to extend the circuits, although some are surface trunking and could be easily rewired.

The switch is going to be the problem, as the cables are chased into the brick wall behind the wet wall… and a joint made in this switch would be blocked by the new unit.
I suppose if I use WAGOs, they should be MF.
If there’s a feed at the light, then occupancy sensor or quinetic could be a good shout. I could disconnect the switches entirely.

There must be some point where the fridges aren’t getting used.
They must be made up in situ from panels and all bolted together, which will take some time.
The occupants can’t just be left on the trolley or anything.

Thanks for all the replies.

The room wasn’t planned well in the first place, but any fridge unit has to be located here so that there’s room in front for the trolley.

There’s 2 light fittings. He just wants this one spun round as it’s lighting up the top of the unit.
Will change to IP if asked for.

It’s not really classed as a “wet” room, but it just makes it easy to clean the walls.

There is a void down right hand side, due to a floor level pipe box, so might just need to use a few WAGO boxes to extend the circuits, although some are surface trunking and could be easily rewired.

The switch is going to be the problem, as the cables are chased into the brick wall behind the wet wall… and a joint made in this switch would be blocked by the new unit.
I suppose if I use WAGOs, they should be MF.
If there’s a feed at the light, then occupancy sensor or quinetic could be a good shout. I could disconnect the switches entirely.

There must be some point where the fridges aren’t getting used.
They must be made up in situ from panels and all bolted together, which will take some time.
The occupants can’t just be left on the trolley or anything.
I’m presuming that you’ve made your ADMD calculations and know the electrical demand required for this new bigger body fridge unit?
Also the minute you start work YOU become responsible for the circuits and their protection, so RCBO/RCD are a must.

I also include at the design stage an IP EM to assist in the event of a light circuit failure or power cut.

I’m presuming that you’ve made your ADMD calculations and know the electrical demand required for this new bigger body fridge unit?
Also the minute you start work YOU become responsible for the circuits and their protection, so RCBO/RCD are a must.

I also include at the design stage an IP EM to assist in the event of a light circuit failure or power cut.
RCBO/RCD is not necessarily a must.

RCBO/RCD is not necessarily a must.
I know we can only speculate the job in hand from the info supplied, but when I here that they’ve got wet walls, Non IP light fittings/trunking/ finger operated light and fridge ISO switches, not forgetting a large metal fridge unit, why would you not consider Residual Current protection.??
(Taking into account the spike start of a refrigerator unit). Please advise.

Installation methods will often dictate if RCD protection is required for all circuits, I often avoid it where possible.

Installation methods will often dictate if RCD protection is required for all circuits, I often avoid it where possible.
Absolutely, the Data plate and Install will show the way..!!
But as the lengthy accident report made reference in this report to the Beko fridge failures causing that horrendous fire, and highlighting that there wasn’t any residual imbalance protection installed, (which may have reconsidered any immediate fault), the disaster may have been avoided.
I know there were other issues as well.

We attended, following a garage block fire where a fridge freezer on a B16 caused the fire. The fire brigade report stated that the DB socket feed was still live after the fire was dealt with.

Safety first.

As can be seen from the earlier photos, the circuits are not RCD protected, but i know the sockets on the end of the circuits are. (BS7288)
Lighting is not, granted.
I wouldn't want the fridge unit itself tripping out unnecessarily, but noted about the data plate. Im only assuming it requires the same power supply, as the director said it was the same size. I should check that myself.

Only ever seen a couple of Merlin Gerin single phase boards, but pretty sure they're intended to be installed this way (as per 3 phase boards). Those I've seen even had the same isolating busbar used on their 3 phase boards.
Your spot on with that Merlin Unit.!

Old Chinese Proverb…. But glasses on when viewing photos before commenting.

What with the cover lid hinged downwards and a top mounted Busbar..etc

Learning has taken place, Thankyou.

As can be seen from the earlier photos, the circuits are not RCD protected, but i know the sockets on the end of the circuits are. (BS7288)
Lighting is not, granted.
I wouldn't want the fridge unit itself tripping out unnecessarily, but noted about the data plate. Im only assuming it requires the same power supply, as the director said it was the same size. I should check that myself.
You said earlier it was a bigger unit?

Good point about the RCD and risk of spurious power failure. Schneider used to do RCBO with "super immune" (probably very short delay) on 30mA protection like this:
But I see that has been discontinued.

It might be worth checking the MI if RCD is needed and if it could be hard-wired FCU and cables in SWA or Flexishield, etc, to allow MCB-only protection.

Reply to Thoughts on moving an existing CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net