Discuss Three Phase Ramp Wiring? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Little Terry

Afternoon all.

Well, here goes my first question.....
I have bought a three phase car ramp and want to connect it to a single phase, 16A socket in my workshop.

I have bought a Clarke PC40 230v to 415v 3.5HP Phase Converter, to which I have fitted a 16A blue plug to go into my existing workshop wiring system. There is a four pin red socket on the front. All good so far.

I want to make up a trailing lead which is wired straight into the ramp control box, with a red plug on the end, that I can plug into the phase converter.

The ramp was removed recently and I saw it working before it was dismantled. We left the tails long when we cut them so that I knew what to connect up to where, when it came to installation. There is a Red, Blue, Yellow and Black wire coming out of the ramps control box.

On the red plug that suits the phase converter I have L1, L2, L3 and earth. I have managed to suss out that L1 = Red, L2 = Yellow, L3 = Blue, Neutral = Black and Earth = Yellow/Green. The problem is that it looks like I will have a redundant neutral wire coming out of the ramp. Am I trying to do the impossible, or do I need to do something with the neutral wire to make it work.

I can get the motor to turn by connecting up L1, L2, L3 and earth, but it won't work on the buttons. Does the spare neutral wire do something to operate the other controls in there?

sorry if it's a bit long winded and complicated.

I am just struggling to make it all work and would really appreciate some help if you don't mind please.

Thanks in advance,
Mark.

if the machine had a neutral before, then it will require one now. To be honest mate, you posted before that your an amateur. I wouldnt mess about with car ramps as a learning project.You, or somebody else could get hurt. Get a spark in, but by all means watch and learn. If your interested in electrics, then book yourslef onto a city and guilds course, (not a short one, as you wont learn about the 3phase stuff your playing with)

John

if the machine had a neutral before, then it will require one now. To be honest mate, you posted before that your an amateur. I wouldnt mess about with car ramps as a learning project.You, or somebody else could get hurt. Get a spark in, but by all means watch and learn. If your interested in electrics, then book yourslef onto a city and guilds course, (not a short one, as you wont learn about the 3phase stuff your playing with)

John

Hi John, thanks for the advice. I thought it might be a simple fix. I will have a word with our local Sparky and see what he thinks.

Cheers,
Mark.

sounds like you need a neutral for the controls. this will require a 5 pin, 3 phase socket on the converter. definitely a job for a qualified sparks. just has to be hoped that you/he can get a neutral from the converter.

another alternative, which i done some years back, is to swap the motor for a single phase motor. if i remember correctly, the start contactor was replaced with a relay.

Reply to Three Phase Ramp Wiring? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net