Discuss To crimp or not to crimp in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Morning Everyone

I have not looked at the site for a few weeks so this is a bit of a cheek, But can anyone answer this.

We have to replace sections of wiring from the consumer unit to under the floor as the last tenant thought he'd help himself to to a few quids worth of cable.
I say that crimping then taping up would be fine but where we get most of our materials has suggested that we should use junction boxes.

All joints will be under wooden flooring with carpet being fitted once the work is done.

Thanks for your replies.

1, Crimp the cable cores and do pull test.
2, Heatshrink the individual wires over the crimps - use the decent heatshrink and not the very thin rubbish!
3, Then single longer piece of shrink over all crimped cables to overlap with the outer cable insulation - preferably same colour as cable. eg:grey!!

or, as an alternative, self-amalgamating tape can be used in place of heat shrink.

I've used the wago connectors and protected them with their purpose built enclosures. Easy to install, not alot to buy, look better than junction boxes and meet current regs for m/f joins.

I've used the wago connectors and protected them with their purpose built enclosures. Easy to install, not alot to buy, look better than junction boxes and meet current regs for m/f joins.

Which leads onto the same discussion thats been on here many times,i like wago's but are they currently classes as a mf joint?
Ive read that the cable grip on the box is under testing now to see if it complys?
Also the wagobox doesnt require a tool to open...
And the wagobox doesn't have the MF logo as it states in the regs.

The only JB that currently complys with all the regs are the ashley J804 MF JB's

Of course correct me if im wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd crimp. Stagger the cimps to reduce the bulk. I prefer heat shrink when space allows. If it's a bit tight try self amalgamating tape (it needs to be applied properly and use about 4 layers.

526.5 Every termination and joint in a live conductor or PEN conductor shall be made within one of the following or a combination thereof:
i) A suitable accessory complying with the appropriate product standard.
ii) An equipment enclosure complying with the appropriate product standard.
iii) An enclosure partially formed or completed with building material which is non-combustible when tested to BS476-4

Any type of over taping or sleeving, is defined as supplementary insulation not as an enclosure, even if it completely covers the termination, because its purpose is to replace the double insulation outer sheath lost in the stripping of the cable to make the termination(s). Any cable conductors covered with supplementary insulation, to effectively recreate the original double insulation outer sheath of the original cable, need to be at least equivalent to that of the original cable product standard to comply with 133.1. The cable product standards do not specify insulation withstand capability, as jointing is prohibited. However, 412.2.4.1, Note 1, tells us “… the insulation cable system must be at least equivalent to requirements set out in BS EN 61140 for reinforced insulation.” and would require the impulse dielectric strength testing detailed in the standard to certify this.
Therefore securing the termination in an enclosure, with cable clamps to prevent strain on the terminations, satisfies 526.5 and eliminates the need for dielectric strength testing implied by ensuring compliance with 133.1.

id retain approx 3ft of cable and find previous tenant and beat the .... out of him.... theiving scum!!!
- couple of standard connectors on end to give maximum pain effect too, dont leave the cable with him as he'll just weigh it in for his next hit.

Reply to To crimp or not to crimp in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net