Discuss tool kit - hand tools mainly in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
im going to be starting an apprenticeship soon (sorry for my poor spelling and grammer)

i have some tools that i bought for college but there not insualted so i dont really want to use it and buy all new stuff

what
screwdrivers,pliers,side cutters,hacksaw's do you guys think i should go for

or a better idea a kit, im looking to spend under ÂŁ100 but i can stretch it upto a max of 2-300
ive had enough of cheap rolson gear that lasts 5 minuetes before breaking down

(im kind of dyslexsic so i know im spelling it wrong i just cant think how to spell it right)

Last edited:
have a look at CK. they do several kits that are ideal for you.

I'd start with a dictionary, sorry for being blunt but there's little excuse for poor spelling and poor punctuation.

Sometime in the future you'll probably be doing certificates, estimates and invoices - first impressions count.

nice kit. don't let it out of your sight. some scroat will nick it.

Some say that you don't need insulated tools because you won't be working live anyway.
IMO CK and Stanley are alright; you don't want expensive tools because it's better to have cheap tools than no tools because someone has "borrowed" them.

in the end i went for these, they were a set recomended by the guy behind counter at wholesalers when i asked about wiha (he was trying to con me into ordering in a set of wiha screw drivers for ÂŁ60, i can get them for a lot less than that myself)

he even said this set was going to be arround 20, it was 16

so i went for these.

uk.farnel.com are cheap for certain things like the wiha screwdrivers

you can even buy a 8 set of ck screwdrivers for ÂŁ30
CK|T49193|SCREWDRIVER SET VDE 8PCS PZ+SLOTTED | Farnell United Kingdom

IMG_20110720_171700.jpgIMG_20110720_171649.jpg

Last edited:
I'd start with a dictionary, sorry for being blunt but there's little excuse for poor spelling and poor punctuation.

Sometime in the future you'll probably be doing certificates, estimates and invoices - first impressions count.

I don't think that was a necessary comment. The OP had already stated that he is dyslexic. People can't help having disabilities and they should be encouraged not made to feel bad.

WHOA.
Unless your employer requires that you have them from day 1, there's no point spending money on expensive tools until you have actually worked as an apprentice for a month or so. Get some advice from your collegues and mentor, see what they are using, try them out for yourself to find the ones that feel right for you. You may find the only tools you need at first are a broom and tea-spoon. :wink5:

I don't think that was a necessary comment. The OP had already stated that he is dyslexic. People can't help having disabilities and they should be encouraged not made to feel bad.

I would agree that that is a unnecessary comment, futher to that dyslexia is not a disability, it is classed as a learning difficulty.(Which I dislike just as much as disibility but hey ho.)

Remember: Buy cheap, buy twice. With that said, make sure you use the right tool for the job and they should last you a while, dont go cutting socket screws with your side cuttters, or hammering holes in walls with a screwdriver. :p Look after your tools an they will look after you is what I am trying to say!

I suppose it's personal taste but I don't agree, Ryan. Perhaps for a seasoned veteran, but until the skills in using them have been mastered the user is not going to get best value out of high quality expensive tools. Better to learn on cheap(er) tools and work up. The chances are, in the real world, most of the frequently used tools will be lost long before they wear out. Sure, forget screwdrivers made of putty and 99p sidecutters, but a pair rated for piano wire that can cut standard plated brass socket screws cleanly should be OK, as should a screwdriver that can clean plaster out of back boxes and poke holes in plasterboard. ;)

Reply to tool kit - hand tools mainly in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net