Discuss Trade insurance & EV charge points in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

BXB

-
Reaction score
Afternoon all, and apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but a search didn't bring anything up.

Just a quick heads up to anyone installing EV charge points (or other "non-standard" energy technologies);

I was confirming PL/PI cover with my insurer today (AXA) for evidence needed by my consumer code of conduct scheme (yet another scheme...), and was told categorically that they do not cover EV charge points or PV work. Now, PV work I can kind of understand, some insurers might see it as a risky area, but the EV charge point one threw me.

The rep asked me if I install cables up to the charge point, or the charge point as well. I replied that a bunch of cables hanging off the wall isn't going to charge a car very well unless you attach a charge point to it (ask a stupid question, get a sarky answer). Now, their issue is not so much with the charge point itself, but the vehicle (!?) - apparently, if the car does not have enough charge in it, and has an accident, they are liable as the charge point could be at fault. After a few seconds with my head in my hands to process this, I politely stated that the EV charge point is simply an external charging socket with additional safety features, and really has nothing to do with the vehicles' comprehension of its internal charge state which is managed by the onboard computer. There was no discussion to be had though, so I gave up.

Most interesting to me was the fact that they were completely unphased (that's right) by the risk of electrocution from the charge point itself, apparently insurance underwriters are unconcerned by PEN faults, but believe that somehow the charge point will mess with the programming of the vehicle, leaving you stranded in the fast lane of the M5 at rush hour or simply freewheeling in to a wall as the onboard computer goes down from a charge point virus (could be a real thing).

I asked if they had any issues with battery storage in the home, and apparently that is perfectly fine. Go figure.

So, if you are installing EV charge points, you may be well off confirming cover with your insurer. Luckily my contract is fresh, and I have not installed any EV points or PV arrays since it was purchased, if I did I would have full liability right now.

Who wants to be out working when they can spend an afternoon chasing around for insurance quotes, eh ?

By their same logic of the installer is responsible and liable for something PLUGGED IN to a socket they have installed, then if I plug an electric drill into a socket and drill though my hand then the installer is responsible???

Are the insurers too thick to realise the first point of liability after the user is the vehicle manufacturer for failing to fit a large flashing neon sign on the dashboard saying do not drive if the battery is nearly flat.

Ah, insurance companies….. they are there to test our patience.

My father in law was trying to get a new home insurance deal…. They got the postcode, checked Google maps etc….

“Hmm, it shows here you are less than 100ft from the river bank”

“and?”

“Well, the likelihood of flooding? You will have to take out additional cover”

“yes, we are 100ft away….. but 100ft up a banking!”

My insurance initially went up due to a similar conversation. Asked for manual quote from underwriter and once i spoke to a decent one, it actually reduced the quote significantly. The underwriter asked about numbers installed, experience, qualifications etc. Was really interested in the tech aswell.
I am due for renewal next couple months so will see what happens.
As for house insurance. My flat when living in cemtral Bath was.30m from the Avon on 4th floor. Couldnt get insurance as i was a flood risk! None of use could even the the top floor(6th) eventually somebody updated a database and we.could get insurance. When talking to the operator couldnt see the validity of my point that being 4th floor the chances of flooding were remote. As it would mean a tsunami type event... Computer says no!

Reply to Trade insurance & EV charge points in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net