Discuss UKPN New connection quote too much - Seeking advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dariune

Hi everyone

I'm not sure if I have found the right place to ask this so if I am wrong to post this here I apolagise.

I was wondering if I could get some advice.

I am converting a house situated on a walkway into two flats.

I have had a new water supply (After 9 months arguing the price and legislation) and a new gas supply but am struggling with the new Electricity supply.

Because the nearest mains is along the walk way by three houses, UK Power Network are charing me £8600 + VAT for the new supply.

They say there might be a nearer mains, not on the map but the only way to check that is to start work and hope. Much of the cost is because they will have to close the walkway, getting a permit from the council.

When I fought South East Water on this I argued that the walkway is their responsability and I read all of the Water Legislation to find loop holes in what they were telling me. Eventually they agreed to split the pipe therefore saving them and me money.

I have asked UKPN to split my connection and they have said no. I have mentioned that it should be their responsability on the walk way and they have said no to that too.

The break down of the quote is as follows:

Assessment and design: 396.00

Jointer to attend site whilst excavation is being completed to
check if useable cable is available directly outside property: 284.90

Disconnection of existing service: 217.35

Contestable works -
installation of new cut-out; jointing of new service to existing
LV network.: 836.24

Civil Contractor costs -
off site excavation and reinstatement; cable laying on site;
closure of footpath; suspension of pay & display bays;
additional costs for removal of spoil.: 6424.44

Second comer contribution - a charge for connection to
network previously installed (Funded by Others) that is
subject to the Electricity (Connection Charges) Regulations
2002: 517.70

V.A.T.: 407.95

Total charge: 9084.58

Are any of you able to help me? I can't find the Elecricity legislation, I'm not sure who to complain to etc.

Any help would be hugely appreciated as this price is far higher than anticipated (I phoned them when I first bought the house and they guessed 2k, and may put an end to this project (Which would be disastrous for me).

Thanks in advance

Well if thats the price??........just because you dont like it doesnt make them a charity.

Me thinks you should have allowed for this cost in your budget for the conversion.

Well if thats the price??........just because you dont like it doesnt make them a charity.

Wow the difference in friendlyness between this forum and the other forums I asked this question on is huge.

I didnt say they were a charity. But they are charging 6k to do the trench. The gas company charged little under 1k to do a similar sized trench.

And I was hoping to loop the supply and they arent giving me a reason as to why that can't be done.

No worries. I am slowly getting there with help elsewhere. Thanks anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Me thinks you should have allowed for this cost in your budget for the conversion.

I allowed for the ball park figure they gave me 2 years ago (2k). The survey they did 3 months ago upped it to 8k

Wow the difference in friendlyness between this forum and the other forums I asked this question on is huge.

I didnt say they were a charity. But they are charging 6k to do the trench. The gas company charged little under 1k to do a similar sized trench.

And I was hoping to loop the supply and they arent giving me a reason as to why that can't be done.

No worries. I am slowly getting there with help elsewhere. Thanks anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

I allowed for the ball park figure they gave me 2 years ago (2k). The survey they did 3 months ago upped it to 8k

Exactly where are you getting with help from the other friendlier forums?...be interested to know. Perhaps my post was a little blunt but TBH this kind of thing crops up regularly enough to be an annoyance in our game. Clients plan projects without realistic costings,and then indignantly expect their contractors to fit in with their budget.
I have no idea whether your quote is excessive,but judging by the amount of work and different parties involved I suspect it isn't.Would be nice to be kept informed of progress,and I'll put my hands up if it turns out I was being harsh.

Did you ask UKPN for a budget estimate or firm offer. If budget estimate it really is only based on the gut feeling of the designer. A firm offer would have given you a firm quote which may have expired by the time you wanted the work would only have changed marginally when requoted.
i can only guess but are you suggesting they breach joint onto an existing service to another property or loop from an existing cutout. Both these suggestions are not acceptable because the service cable will be overloaded and looping from cut outs exceeds their rating. Are you being provided with a three phase supply or two single phase supplies for the two flats? It is hard to say how fair the price is but they will not be out to rip you off. They have design packages that you input materials and excavation etc and it gives out a price. There is usually no room for negotiation so it looks like you will have to bite the bullet and pay them. If you really are concerned they are overcharging you get a quote from an Icp who can carry out all the work in competition with the DNO.

Reply to UKPN New connection quote too much - Seeking advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net