Discuss Understandable attitude? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think he means 'what is a 17th edition testing course'?

I thought he said regs course, I will read again.

Ah right. Well, as a fault technician with a dno, if there was a loss of the neutral on a 3 phase circuit, the single phase properties affected could experience high voltage. They would be disconnected from the supply and not reconected until an installtion test was carried out. Part of this meant opening the consumer unit to check the cables hadn't melted basically! Unions said we needed to be qualified to do this, as our lv authorisation didn't cover BS7671, so we were sent on a course for basic testing of installations. Now don't blame me, I only dud as I was told.

Shed? Now there's an idea! Every man should have a shed. Some nice led lights, couple of sockets for the stereo etc, perhaps even a kettle. No need to test of course. Now where can I get some advice? Mmm.

That copy of BS 7671 must be a different copy than the one most of us have, cus mine doesn't tell you how to rewire a Domestic dwelling, to be honest it gives me a Migraine just looking at it.

Nice post, but I'd say at least some testing is a job within reach of anyone who has made changes to an installation. All you need is a multimeter- If you've added a spur then polarity and CPC continuity at a minimum even if you don't have the ability to check R1+R2 etc.
no idea why people keep adding "Disagree" to this post, you better all write to Vaillant as their servicing instructions go further to class that as perfectly sufficient (as opposed to the weaker "at least it's better than nothing" I stated)
upload_2018-5-14_23-17-37.png

https://www.vaillant.co.uk/downloads/ecotec-pro-instn-maint-261423.pdf
P46, right hand side

John, your post refers to installing a boiler. It does not refer to making changes to the fixed wiring of an installation.

Changes made to the fixed wiring of an installation require testing with appropriate test equipment.

no idea why people keep adding "Disagree" to this post, you better all write to Vaillant as their servicing instructions go further to class that as perfectly sufficient (as opposed to the weaker "at least it's better than nothing" I stated)

'Yes your Honour, I know the property burnt to the ground and took the houses either side with it, but I was only following the instructions Vaillant gave me'

;)

John, your post refers to installing a boiler. It does not refer to making changes to the fixed wiring of an installation.

Changes made to the fixed wiring of an installation require testing with appropriate test equipment.
Agree, but people are disagreeing that it's possible to find faults with a multimeter. Unless all the people disagreeing are 5 week wonders, I'd expect any decent electrician to know how to find most common diy errors on added spurs and lighting circuits.

Agree, but people are disagreeing that it's possible to find faults with a multimeter. Unless all the people disagreeing are 5 week wonders, I'd expect any decent electrician to know how to find most common diy errors on added spurs and lighting circuits.
yes, but the point made was that a multimeter (as opposed to a MFT) is not capable of performing the necessary tests, e.g. IR/loop/RCD/Polarity. it can only measure voltage and continuity

John, nobody is saying a multimeter cannot find certain faults. However it cannot perform a high current (200mA) continuity test and it cannot perform insulation resistance tests. Both of these tests are essential to confirming the installed circuit is safe.

the point made was that a multimeter (as opposed to a MFT) is not capable of performing the necessary tests

nobody is saying a multimeter cannot find certain faults.
Thanks for the support both of you. , all the people who pressed disagree were apparently saying that. It's a bit depressing getting them every time i log on from people who don't know what they're disagreeing with. Is there any way to remove my post? As i can't edit to clarify.

Reply to Understandable attitude? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net