Discuss urgent advice needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

bartkusal

-
Arms
Reaction score
As per title, urgent advice needed.

I have an ELECSA assessment tomorrow for the installation work and condition reporting. I am fine with EICRwork to show, but the person with whom I agreed that her install by me will be checked tomorrow, called me at 3pm today that she will not going to be able to be at the property. I did other installs around my area but no one is available,too short notice. So it happens I have nothing to show. So I decided as thelast resort to change my old CU.

I just done all essential tests on my property before hand to make sure nothing stops me to do the work, everything seems fine, no barrowed neutrals, ring continuity with all 3 stages ok, IR ok, Ze just fine for TNCS being 0.33

I cannot start works now because I have tenants (helps pay mortgage)back from work and they need electricity, so basically I have just tomorrow early in the morning time to do it before 9.30am. I have all gear in place.

My concern is, meter tails needs upgrading to 25mm2 and the earthing conductor to 16mm2 and bonding to 10mm2, at the moment I have 16,10,6 respectively. Bonding to gas and earthing conductor comes out of the head where its splits from neutral, so I have no chances to do upgrades on those without puling the main fuse out, normally I should call DNO to disconnect the supply for me to do works, but I will not ge tthem to do it in time for me, is it?

So please can you advice what my options are, and how the assessor reacts in all that awkward situation.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice given

Best regards. Al

Last edited:
leave tails in , just change main earth and bonding.
i'm sure if you look hard enough you'll notice the fuse seal is missing anyway.
;-)

Well they'll charge if you cancel as I tried last year as I was as sick as a dog... No joy, so I just was honest and said I'm very ill, but come take a look anyway.

You have nowt to lose, if you can show you can test, know the regs and can explain what you are going to do to finish the install, I'd say you will be fine, but you will need to forward pics of the work that is to be completed.
don't worry the assessor will use his judgment if you explain your situation.

Elecsa assessors do allow you to show them a job which is "work in progress" - so can you get your tenents out of the way for the morning?

Make sure you have all your paperwork, public liability insurance, mft calibration certs, in one place ready to show him/her.
show him the previous certs that you were going to use for the assessment. Double check your certs that you are filling put for you consumer unit change as they may well check your readings and ask questions on the result, a favourite in an electric shower, or immersion heater.

Ben

I think worst case scenario is that any non compliances will require photo evidence of rectification within 30 days. Easily solved, no more cost or visits.
Don't sweat it. Explain the situation to the guy, and I'm sure all will be cool.

They will be happy enough if you actually have the knowledge to know the tails and bonding need upgrading as its in progress. They will just want to see you test I wouldn't worry at all

Reply to urgent advice needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net