Discuss 'Urgent remedial action' estimates in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

I recently had an electrical test done on my flat prior to a sale. The flat won't have had much work done in many many years so i was expecting there to be work needed to be done.

The report has identified, amongst other observations, for 3 'Urgent remedial action required' items. I have no experience whatsoever of electrics, so this is gobbledegook to me! I am awaiting a quote, but i don't know how long that will take and i'm keen to understand the potential costs now in order to handle the purchaser of my property.

I don't know if the tests are 'standard' and therefore readable by others... but i thought i would ask if anyone can decipher the below and advise on how serious these are and if possible put a cost estimate to them?

Inspection Schedule Item 6.7: Suitability of accessories and controlgear etc. for a particular
zone (701.512.3) is in a potentially dangerous condition. Urgent remedial action is required.

Inspection Schedule Item 6.6: Suitability of equipment for external influences for installed
location in terms of IP rating (701.512.2) is in a potentially dangerous condition. Urgent
remedial action is required.

Inspection Schedule Item 6.8: Suitability of current-using equipment for particular position
within the location (701.55) is in a potentially dangerous condition. Urgent remedial action is
required

Many thanks!

The words "potentially dangerous condition. Urgent remedial action is required" is fairly generic with these reports, and be somewhat misleading.
Are these all possibly referring to items within a bathroom by any chance?

If you can photograph these "potentially dangerous" items and post up here, we can help advise better, but at the moment, im thinking its a basic pendant in bathroom instead of an IP rated fitting.

To save other people downloading the file:

Existing 4 gang fuse box with rewirable fuses.

The C2’s listed include, a radial to sockets wired in 2.5, on a 30A fuse….. Bathroom light not enclosed, so as we thought, a pendant or baton lampholder…..
And a few others.

Some things are marked as a FAIL… which is incorrect. An EICR is a report. There is no pass or fail… it’s either a C1, C2 or C3 for grades of faults.(or FI, NV)

As mentioned on #6, why get the test done? Most houses are sold as seen…. Any problems are the buyers responsibility.
Maybe good that any faults have been brought up now, and you can fix a selling price accordingly, but I don’t think you should be expected to do all the remedial works before selling.

Houses are 'sold as seen'

A potential buyer can 'ask' for a report on the electrics , plumbing , roof , windows etc etc but ultimately the seller should set the price according to the age and condition of the property from the get go...

The only time I would pay for a report is if something looks suspect or the seller is saying the house has been rewired but there might be signs that this is not quite true

To save other people downloading the file:

Existing 4 gang fuse box with rewirable fuses.

The C2’s listed include, a radial to sockets wired in 2.5, on a 30A fuse….. Bathroom light not enclosed, so as we thought, a pendant or baton lampholder…..
And a few others.

Some things are marked as a FAIL… which is incorrect. An EICR is a report. There is no pass or fail… it’s either a C1, C2 or C3 for grades of faults.(or FI, NV)

As mentioned on #6, why get the test done? Most houses are sold as seen…. Any problems are the buyers responsibility.
Maybe good that any faults have been brought up now, and you can fix a selling price accordingly, but I don’t think you should be expected to do all the remedial works before selling.
Thanks for looking into this.

So the buyers solictor asked us if we would be willing to get a test done. We were not sure what to do… we debated and spoke to people and advice was mixed including they’ll probably say they’ll need it before exchanging as the buyer is buying to rent.. so they’ll get it done anyway.

Yes “sold as seen - buyers responsibility” was always where my head has been at.. maybe we should have declined… but we thought we were “doing the right thing” and as said… they may think we had something to hide and got it done themselves anyway

We thought we would be open and collaborative and get it done knowing it would need some updating but hoping it was still reasonably safe… and that’s exactly what the tester told us after.. that it needs updating but is safe….

Then we get the report and I’m alarmed by the number of items listed… but not knowing anything about how serious this is I posted here…

So we are in the final stages of the sale and yes I fully expect the buyer to negotiate on this.. the question comes down to will it cost £200 or £2000+ to make safe!?

My proposal would be to split it or for us to get the “urgent” done… but not sure how that will play out.

At the end of the day it’s down to how much you want the sale. Some of the remedial fixes like correcting the fuse on the radial and replacing a light fitting could be corrected very cheaply and on your terms. I wouldn’t get involved in the expense of correcting stuff to meet buyers buy to let standards.

It is a poorly worded Report. BS3036 fuses I am failing to see why this is Code 2, still recognised by BS7671. The schedule does not indicate this two gang socket radial on a 30A fuse so I am assuming a spur from the ring final so does it need a Code at all.
The Report does not comment on the continuity readings of r2 for the ring final in comparison to r1. Giving the likely age of the installation are the cpcs 1.0 but r2 is still a bit high.

The cost of repair would not be reflected in the uplift on the value/sale price of the house on an actuarial calculation. Whereas one buyer will use the poor wiring condition as a bargaining point to see off £2-3k on the price, another will snap it up and just do what they want to do when they get the property. House prices now make it a sellers market, unless you are desperate to move just sell as is. The phrase Caveat Emptor applies, Buyer Beware!

Thanks for all of the comments - really appreciated.
I am asking for a quote of the entire works and a quote for the 'urgent action' items - just to be prepared for if the buyer does try to negotiate.
I'd be really keen to know any views on what the cost could roughly be.
Thanks again

Reply to 'Urgent remedial action' estimates in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net