Discuss Voltage testing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
There has been a wide research on voltage already but my question is which multimeter can give us more accurate reading for voltage calculations, analog or an average digital multimeter like brymen or amprobe?

Last edited by a moderator:
For what purpose? Nominal voltage in UK is say typically 400/230v but can vary enormously depending on various factors. How accurate do you need to be?

I prefer digital. Most analog meters have an adjustment screw on the front and you dont know for sure if someone has been messing with it.
What sort of voltage range are you measuring?

Generally digital meters are more accurate than analogue. The best analogue were typically around 1% of full scale on DC volts, even cheap digital usually meet that.

However if you are looking to measure mains voltages you really need to get a meter that has a rating of at least CAT-II rating or any mistakes can be fatal as the meter or its probes explode in your face or you get a serious shock:

However if what you are attempting to do is safely check for the presence or absence of voltage do not use a multimeter! There are so many ways you can get it wrong and if "proving dead" for a circuit you plan on working on that could result in some medic proving you are dead!

For those cases get a proper voltage tester and ideally a matching 'proving unit' to allow you to verify its operation before and after you check the circuit of interest. I see you are down as Islamabad location so UK suppliers are not of much use, but here are some examples:
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/lap-ms8922b-ac-dc-2-pole-voltage-tester-with-rcd-400v/669hy

Generally digital meters are more accurate than analogue.

wash mouth out with soap
nowt can beat a AVO8. for accuracy and rejection of ghost readings.

as for r-fur's comment, anyone touches my AVOs, they get hands chopped off.

Most analog meters have an adjustment screw on the front and you dont know for sure if someone has been messing with it.
Surely you can see if the meter is properly zeroed if it isn't then someone has been messing with the adjustment screw

My Avo8 is sitting in the workshop unused for at least ten years.
I never leave home without my Fluke 179. its smaller lighter has more functions got a magnetic hanger, just better.

They were a classic. In their day they were the standard multimeter. latterly they were kept just for doing flick tests because that requires an analogue meter.

They were a classic. In their day they were the standard multimeter. latterly they were kept just for doing flick tests because that requires an analogue meter.
I remember when the digital testing equipment first came out

My inspector used to say how he preferred the analogue Meggers.Not accurate enough though.

Both types of meters have their advantages and disadvantages.

The analogue type are great to see how something is varying, so perfect if tuning something up where you want to see the max value, etc, also if there is something occasionally causing a drop or surge. By their nature (mostly, ignoring VTVMs, etc) then take a non-trivial current to operate, with better ones typically being 50uA full scale (or 20kohm/volt as usually indicated), this is bad if you don't want to load a circuit, but good if you want to check for a voltage source that is capable of delivering any non-trivial current.

Digital meters have the advantage of generally greater accuracy and many fancy features these days, but they are slow to react to voltage changes and often the controls and features are far from clear or obvious to use. The high impedance (typically 10M) is good for light loading of electronic circuits, but leads to the "phantom voltage" effect on cables near energised circuits appearing to have at significant voltage.

But if working on power systems as an electrician you absolutely must have at least CAT-III to 300V (domestic single phase work) and ideally higher rating such as CAT-IV to 600V.

A year or two ago I read a rather harrowing report on deaths in the USA electrical industry and there were a few cases of multimeters being a factor, either not CAT rated or in at least one case a good CAT-IV Fluke meter, but the guy was using it for continuity on a MV circuit that was accidentally energised to it usual 3.3kV (above its rating) and he died from the resulting burn injuries :(

I never leave home without my Fluke 179. its smaller lighter has more functions got a magnetic hanger, just better.
I have a Fluke 179 and really like it, not cheap but a meter you can depend on for most cases and pretty high accuracy.

Finding usefully higher accuracy in a multimeter is unlikely, to get significantly better you usually have to look at one of the rather expensive bench meters you would find in a lab.

usually have to look at one of the rather expensive bench meters you would find in a lab.
Just to add we haver one of these:

Had I more money to spare I would probably get this:

Both are really lab instruments though, neither have CAT-IV sort of ratings.

Hand to have a copy!

We have an old Avo 8 that we saved from a clear-out at the university so useful to look after it.
Worked at a university in the US as a technician

Fitted out a lab with test equipment and basically fixed anything we could on the campus

All the broken electronics got sent our way

Reply to Voltage testing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net