Discuss Wago's and Class I light fittings in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Been trying to find an answer to this one, but haven't found a definitive answer.

Long story short, I have a Class II metal wall light fitting which for various reasons it's now a Class I (I've had to modify it to make it work due the stupidly supplied cable being way to short and the lighting circuit cable being way to short). I've had to use 221 Wago's to connect the lighting circuit to the supplied cable with the fitting, however I've just realised that now the light fitting is a Class I, should I run a CPC to the metal casing of the light - it can be done, just should I ?

I only ask because if the Line was to somehow come lose from the Wago and touch the light fitting, that would become live with no CPC to trip the RCD. At least that's what my logic is saying.

Been trying to find an answer to this one, but haven't found a definitive answer.

Long story short, I have a Class II metal wall light fitting which for various reasons it's now a Class I (I've had to modify it to make it work due the stupidly supplied cable being way to short and the lighting circuit cable being way to short). I've had to use 221 Wago's to connect the lighting circuit to the supplied cable with the fitting, however I've just realised that now the light fitting is a Class I, should I run a CPC to the metal casing of the light - it can be done, just should I ?

I only ask because if the Line was to somehow come lose from the Wago and touch the light fitting, that would become live with no CPC to trip the RCD. At least that's what my logic is saying.

If you are saying you have modified the light and it is no longer class II, then very probably the metal casing of the light should be earthed yes. Surely you did this as part of your 'conversion' work? If not, what did you do to the lamp to make it class I?

Maybe it’s one of these pathetic new fittings that seem to be commonplace now where it looks like a class 1 fitting, but the maker claims it’s class 2, presumably due to the fact it has a useless tiny connection box in, with a rubber sleeve for the cable to enter in.

Absolutely useless if the fitting is 3 plated and not much better if only a single twin and earth at that point.

What does everyone do with these? If you bin said useless connection box and use wagos, is it then class 1? How do you earth it if there is no lug etc.

Absolutely ridiculous things in my opinion.

Maybe it’s one of these pathetic new fittings that seem to be commonplace now where it looks like a class 1 fitting, but the maker claims it’s class 2, presumably due to the fact it has a useless tiny connection box in, with a rubber sleeve for the cable to enter in.

Absolutely useless if the fitting is 3 plated and not much better if only a single twin and earth at that point.

What does everyone do with these? If you bin said useless connection box and use wagos, is it then class 1? How do you earth it if there is no lug etc.

Doesn't your heart sink when you open the box and see that it's one of those?

For more than 1 cable entering the base of the fitting, (assuming there's enough room) I make the connections with wagos, then mummify the connections and any unsheathed cores with SA tape, then with PVC insulating tape, then again with SA tape. I don't think this is the textbook correct way to deal with it, but is probably the most pragmatic IMO.

Doesn't your heart sink when you open the box and see that it's one of those?

For more than 1 cable entering the base of the fitting, (assuming there's enough room) I make the connections with wagos, then mummify the connections and any unsheathed cores with SA tape, then with PVC insulating tape, then again with SA tape. I don't think this is the textbook correct way to deal with it, but is probably the most pragmatic IMO.
I refuse to fit them.

Thankfully I don't install domestic lighting fixtures so I don't actually know what these fittings and their silly terminal boxes look like. Can anybody post a link to a pic?

The lights themselves can be any metal class 2 fitting with a hollow base, wall or ceiling light. The sort of thing your customer buys from next/john lewis/wayfair etc. Something like this:

The lights themselves can be any metal class 2 fitting with a hollow base, wall or ceiling light. The sort of thing your customer buys from next/john lewis/wayfair etc. Something like this:

shudder

Last one I had of these claimed to be IP rated for outside use too (with a standard wall bracket and no back). The amount of SA tape I added to it, I feel sorry for the next poor sod to change it ?

I managed to sort it out by installing one of these quick connect light connector boxes. They are really for quickly fitting downlights, but they worked a treat for this, and fitting nicely in the housing.

Maybe it’s one of these pathetic new fittings that seem to be commonplace now where it looks like a class 1 fitting, but the maker claims it’s class 2,

A growing problem in recent years. Class 1 and class 2 fittings were clearly distinguishable from one another (metal versus plastic) originally. Nowadays the various manufacturers have pushed the boundaries out to the point that if you did, nt have the instructions you could hardly know.

Reply to Wago's and Class I light fittings in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net