Discuss Water Bonding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

IAmSparkytus!

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all,

I'd guess that this is a common question but haven't been able to find anything on the forums regarding the 18th.

Working in a shop and the water comes into the building in plastic, there is then 3 foot or so of copper pipe followed by plastic throughout the rest of the installation.

Am I right in thinking that the only relevant bit of information there is the plastic incoming pipe which would mean no bonding is required?

Answers are appreciated or if someone can point me to a recent thread that would be good too.

Cheers!

Evening all,

I'd guess that this is a common question but haven't been able to find anything on the forums regarding the 18th.
have you considered looking in the 18th edition book?
it might give you some pointers!

however, from what you have said, it looks unlikely to require bonding.

Left the job today with a rather uncomfortable feeling in my stomach - first time I've never put an earth on the water pipes on a job... feels strange and not right!

Will definitely be having a good read of the BBB tonight.

Still would like to hear others input though.

Thanks.

Well I didn't deem it to be extraneous as no metal work entered/touched the earth anywhere and i also thought about bonding it and then thought about the fact that I could then be introducing metal work to the electrical installation which needn't have been therefore potentially making this live metalwork under fault conditions when it never would have been in the first place (hope that makes sense). Didnt think the "if in doubt, bond it out" mindset was actually meant to be abided by???

You are the only one who's seen it. But this might help you relax:
411.3.1.2 only requires extraneous conductive parts to be bonded.
And also says "metallic pipes entering the the building having an insulating section at point of entry need not be connected to the protective equipotential bonding"

It sounds as though you did the right thing.

Interesting the French Regulations say the "water installation must be bonded as close to the plastic supply pipe as possible".

In fact it says Earthed, they do not differentiate between Earthing and Bonding.

Interesting the French Regulations say the "water installation must be bonded as close to the plastic supply pipe as possible".
Indeed interesting and a little surprising, as in an otherwise insulated installation you could be introducing a potential that wouldn't have been there otherwise.

Except for major towns and cities most properties are TT, never worked in Paris or anywhere near that large so unaware of what different earthing arrangements they use.

Well I didn't deem it to be extraneous as no metal work entered/touched the earth
To be 100% sure that it is (or is, nt) extraneous I carry on IR test on the pipe. That settles it.
Didnt think the "if in doubt, bond it out" mindset was actually meant to be abided by???
You are right. Though sparks traditionally lent towards that approach, it's clear that the approach now is towards keeping "isolated metalwork" isolated.

Reply to Water Bonding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net