Discuss What is the best way to become a qualified Electrician in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jbondamic

Hi
I was wondering what you guys think the best way to get my 17th edition qualification is? I passed my old style part 1 a few yeaars back but could not continue because of my job. I have heard that the new 17th edition is allot easier than the 16th edition is this the case? There are so many ways to take the course now eg open university, night school, day release etc that im at a loss on where to start. Is it also possible to just try to learn and sit the exams off your own back? Do you still need to complete a practical exam? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

I suspect you won't go very far with a electrical installation distance learning pack (probably at horrendous cost). This trade is really a practical one with lots of theory.
Look for a course which is NVQ3. The most obvious one is C&G 2356 (NVQ) with the C&G 2357 theory component.. The trade exam for this is the AM2 to qualify for the full NVQ.

17th ed. is the regs course which is different from the full electrical installation certificate

In City & Guilds terms, the 2382 certificate (17th Edition) can be obtained by attending a 3 day course culminating in an online test on the 3rd day. Just google 2382 training for a selection of providers. This can be supplimented by a 4 day C&G 2392 (soon to become 2394) Inspection & Testing certificate which enables you to certify your own work only; or the C&G 2391 (soon to become 2395) Inspection & Testing certificate which enables you to certify your own and other peoples work (the old Periodic Certificate now the EICR - Electrical Instalation Condition Report). Again, just google 2394 training or 2395 training for providers. This could be a quicker way to get qualified if time is an issue for you.

In City & Guilds terms, the 2382 certificate (17th Edition) can be obtained by attending a 3 day course culminating in an online test on the 3rd day. Just google 2382 training for a selection of providers. This can be supplimented by a 4 day C&G 2392 (soon to become 2394) Inspection & Testing certificate which enables you to certify your own work only; or the C&G 2391 (soon to become 2395) Inspection & Testing certificate which enables you to certify your own and other peoples work (the old Periodic Certificate now the EICR - Electrical Instalation Condition Report). Again, just google 2394 training or 2395 training for providers. This could be a quicker way to get qualified if time is an issue for you.

Errrr!! Define QUALIFIED?? lol!!!

Anything that takes a matter of day's, isn't going to make you a Qualified Electrician, ...And you can take that to the bank!!!

The word "qualified" is starting to lose all meaning, the words I'd be looking for above all else are "time" and "served"

A 5 week course or even an NVQ 3 gain in 6 months doesn't make a competant electrician IMO... I'll prepare for some flak from that statement.

The word "qualified" is starting to lose all meaning, the words I'd be looking for above all else are "time" and "served"

A 5 week course or even an NVQ 3 gain in 6 months doesn't make a competant electrician IMO... I'll prepare for some flak from that statement.

Flack, lol, and why not ! :)

There appears not be a choice in whether there are time served or 5DW 'apprenticeships'.
The NVQ3 is about as close as you will get to a 'time served' training in this country I'm afraid.

You try Spain of course,

I have no idea how long an NVQ 3 takes but I've heard some say 6 months. In my opinion to become an electrician it should be 3-4 years working and studying like the good ol days haha

Well, the NVQ3 course assumes you are working in the electrical industry.
So C&G 2330/2357/2356 courses are either 2 or 3 years long dependent upon age and previous experience. Anything less is likely to be asking for trouble and a very resilient public liability insurance cover.

Most students who are heading for 'Engineer' status will do the course in 2 years and head for the hills never to see the tools again, but then, a basic hands on experience for an intelligent man is most likely sufficient, but for the rest of us its 3-4 year slog with another couple of years as a journeyman and then building up enough experience of say at least 10 years before you're eligible to do Inspection and Testing, that would be a six week course in todays money.

IMO there are 3 ways shomeone could become an electrician.

1) serve a full accredited apprenticeship with a company or one man band

2) work as an electrical labourer/mate whilst taking yourself to college to do the city and guilds technical cert (2330 ect), and then undertake the practical elements at work NVQ3. IMO, for this approach to really work, the mate needs to get himself on as many different types of job as possible, in order to properly learnh the trade.

3) a related discipline, where the person has all of the apllicable knowledge and experience, but lacks formal qualifications. This is the only situation that i think a 6 week consolidation course should be used for. Even then people should be assessed as to whether they are ready to do the course.

FYI, i did a years college in the army, no site experience, left with no qualifications, worked as a mate, and took the 2330 level , and did the NVQ 3 with the firm i worked for. this training route does work, but its a two way process, and tyou have to look for knowldegde and experience, it wont always come to you.

Reply to What is the best way to become a qualified Electrician in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net