Discuss What the hell has happened to the 18th edition course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

I simply took the advice of others who said figure out how to use the contents, appendix and the tables.

I then booked online with a practice exam test provider and passed with 96%.

I did get a full NICEIC course online for my money (course was £300 for an online course plus exam) but it was simply trying to get you to memorise facts from the book which is completely pointless.

For the exam, memorise the pages that are useful, learn to use them to interpret and find the information, and then use the on-site guide to actually get a grip of how the regs are applied in real life.

I simply took the advice of others who said figure out how to use the contents, appendix and the tables.

I then booked online with a practice exam test provider and passed with 96%.

I did get a full NICEIC course online for my money (course was £300 for an online course plus exam) but it was simply trying to get you to memorise facts from the book which is completely pointless.

For the exam, memorise the pages that are useful, learn to use them to interpret and find the information, and then use the on-site guide to actually get a grip of how the regs are applied in real life.
Well done with the test. I got 90% on the 18th exam, it's a shame they don't let you know which ones were wrong. I'd like to know if I misread it or actually got it wrong.

Well done with the test. I got 90% on the 18th exam, it's a shame they don't let you know which ones were wrong. I'd like to know if I misread it or actually got it wrong.
Thanks. 90% is an awesome result. I actually had an educated guess at 3 of the questions since i couldn't find the answers and had about 5 minutes left. I'm not too worried about it, the reality is in real life you just google something.

The most revealing thing I remember a lecturer said to the assembled throng at uni was, "I can't teach you anything, you can only learn" That was over fifty years ago and I think its the only thing I remember now. 🤣

Last edited:
A good lecturer does not just read things at you verbatim. Where did you go to uni?

Are you also saying that teachers are just people who read PowerPoint slides to kids?

I feel you will be upsetting anyone in the teaching profession with your comments.
I'm a retired teacher (electrical) and I'm not at all offended by this. A lot of the guys teaching in college that I've met are useless, one guy just said "read the book " and didn't teach at all

So you clearly don't work to your own advice
Lol really? Like really really? Wow, man.😆

No grey area for you huh? Looking up cat 5 colour order or checking a reg on your phone is exactly the same as the obvious surfing facebook or whatsapping your mates that i was referring to?

C'mon mate, i think you're just trying to start arguments here for some reason.

Lol really? Like really really? Wow, man.😆
Glad you find it funny
No grey area for you huh?
I don't like grey areas
Looking up cat 5 colour order or checking a reg on your phone is exactly the same as the obvious surfing facebook or whatsapping your mates that i was referring to?
I don't need to look up cat5 colours and do know the difference between 568A and 568B without the need to use my phone
C'mon mate, i think you're just trying to start arguments here for some reason.
You are putting yourself in the firing line with your inconsistant comments
My underpinning knowledge is stored in my head after a 5 year apprenticeship with day release at college when I qualified it was a little difficult to look up info on my PCD that I didn't have then and wasn't even available at the time. From another thread it is easy to diss college learning and rely on add on courses to make people believe you know what you are doing but something that has been said for many years is that little knowledge is a dangerous thing

The most revealing thing I remember a lecturer said to the assembled throng at uni was, "I can't teach you anything, you can only learn" That was over fifty years ago and I think its the only thing I remember now. 🤣
"I can teach you this but I cannot make you understand it, retain it and recall it when needed; You can say what you like about the quality of teaching but it is the quality of the pupil that is the deciding factor."

My year 11 science teacher. It took me a while to figure out what he meant but once I figured out that even a great teacher can get grounded down by shitty pupils and students. It's not that deliberately give up on those that couldn't care less but they would rather put thier efforts into those that gave a ---- and returned good results.

So I decided to do my 18th edition after needing to renew my ecs card and they wouldn’t until I Did it.

My company decided to put me on the 4 day course becuase they thought it had a higher pass rate and they said they will go through the book and exam questions better

Well I’m into day 3 and the guy has literally just read the book out from page to page with a 400 slide PowerPoint giving a guide on main points on each page, has not gone through a single mock question yet and has said he won’t until just before the test. £699 to have a guy read to me for 3 friggin days?

Is this what the course is like nowadays, the 17th I did had about a day of going through the main points of the book and then doing mock exams while explaining the answers ?
Seems like you got a bad instructor, I done my first BS7671 exam when I was at college learning to be a spark since then I've always done exam only. There is a certain amount of basic knowledge and the rest I get from past papers and using the book to confirm those answers. I feel you pain the only thing I would say is that those courses have test papers that are close to the real exam.

Reply to What the hell has happened to the 18th edition course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net