Discuss What the hell has happened to the 18th edition course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

So I decided to do my 18th edition after needing to renew my ecs card and they wouldn’t until I Did it.

My company decided to put me on the 4 day course becuase they thought it had a higher pass rate and they said they will go through the book and exam questions better

Well I’m into day 3 and the guy has literally just read the book out from page to page with a 400 slide PowerPoint giving a guide on main points on each page, has not gone through a single mock question yet and has said he won’t until just before the test. £699 to have a guy read to me for 3 friggin days?

Is this what the course is like nowadays, the 17th I did had about a day of going through the main points of the book and then doing mock exams while explaining the answers ?
Do we not go on these courses to be taught or reminded of the things we may have forgotten or don't use? If you dont work in the domestic, caravans, marina industry or solar/plugin charger side of the trade, then where does the knowledge come from to enable you to complete the 18th? Thats why you go on a course, to be taught and if a tutor isnt doing that, then its not doing what you are paying for. How would the 18th benfit those who work in an Industrial, Chemical or Oil and Gas background? Another money making racket?

How would the 18th benfit those who work in an Industrial, Chemical or Oil and Gas background? Another money making racket?
That Would be wherever in whatever standards (ATEX/CompEx most likely) it states that installations should comply to BS7671. Remembering of course that 7671 itself states that it can and if often supplemented by other standards (5839, 7909, ATEX [because my dumb --- can't recall its BSEN number ?]), you get thr idea anyway...

I used learnzonemedia. It was terrible content, there are mock tests that were helpful but badly written and not similar to the actual exam. It was just a video of someone reading the book and every so often saying this will probably come up. I gave up on the videos and watched sparky ninja cover it on YouTube. I needed to enroll on a course to book the exam.

So I decided to do my 18th edition after needing to renew my ecs card and they wouldn’t until I Did it.

My company decided to put me on the 4 day course becuase they thought it had a higher pass rate and they said they will go through the book and exam questions better

Well I’m into day 3 and the guy has literally just read the book out from page to page with a 400 slide PowerPoint giving a guide on main points on each page, has not gone through a single mock question yet and has said he won’t until just before the test. £699 to have a guy read to me for 3 friggin days?

Is this what the course is like nowadays, the 17th I did had about a day of going through the main points of the book and then doing mock exams while explaining the answers ?
I teach for a technical learning centre and the problem with lecturers is that people can or cannot teach, you can't be taught how. As regards to his teaching methods..... my students get 3 Mock Exams, the first they do on their own to get an understanding of how the questions are designed to make you fail. The next exam I go through it with them to show how to read the question and determine where in the book to find the answer. The final mock I give them the choice of doing it themselves or we go through it together. We have to go through the book that's a must, but explanation of calculations, cable choice, and pointing out various areas we know questions are usually asked is also required to name but a few things that need to be covered. No reputable body can give a guaranteed pass all they can guarantee that the majority of answers are in the book, you just have to find them. As regards to post-it notes, I always recommend only using them to highlight the start of the chapters and to only use the index as a last resort. Every question needs to be understood what part the answer is to be found, and once you have determined this look on page 3 find the relevant part and go to the first page of that part to allow you to get more relevant information about the chapters in that section. Once you've pinpointed the relevant chapter, go to the first page of that chapter to further pinpoint the answer, by reading the contents of the page/s. Sorry you had a crap teacher/lecturer but that's a prime example of someone who doesn't know how to teach and unfortunately you don't know about their teaching abilities unless you get information from student feedback, Course Check is what the company I work for use, but no doubt there are others ,hope you found the advise useful and I would suggest you inform your company of his teaching methods and also next time to check on any tutors reputation going forward. Oh and by the way our course is taught over 3 days, and we/I get an average 80% pass rate, with probably a 85/90% average resit pass rate.

I did an online course which was basically a guy reading line by line all the "relevant" stuff.
Thought that was a waste of £100 so I watched every SparkyNinja video on the 18th (which i found way more informative than a classroom based course) then booked an exam directly with SETA in Southampton.
Achieved 95%, very happy with that.

Reply to What the hell has happened to the 18th edition course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock