Discuss What's going on here? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

lavanic

DIY
Reaction score
Hello - see attached photos of the downlight fitting in my bathroom.

In short, the consumer unit recently started tripping, and on investigating I found a scorched cable, which seems to have been resting on the uncovered incandescent GU10 lamp, the heat from which eventually burnt through the cable to the now-visible wire.

In addition, I found a cable just cut and not capped off in any way (forgive my language if I'm not using the correct terms).

The downlight installation pre-dates both my ownership of the flat, and my predecessors' - I figure the downlight fittings are old and that's why they are not covered to prevent the cable touching the hot lamp.

Any observations?

20221023_102045.jpg20221023_103933.jpg20221023_102102.jpg

Many thanks in advance.

I,d be replacing the GU10s for LED. That would solve the heat problem, and save 90% on the cost of the leccy.

Reactions: DPG
You’re going to need to replace or repair that scorched cable.

It may be just between two fittings and will easily pull out, Or, if it’s stuck, but you have some slack, you can cut out the black bit, and connect the good parts using a maintenance free joint box. WAGO Light boxes are perfect for this.

The cut off cable needs checked to make sure it’s not connected in any way. Either carefully pull it out if you can, or is there access above? (Attic)
You will need something to test the cable with.

When done, make sure there are no other cables running close to other fittings.
The heat is quite considerable from old GU10 halogen lamps, and as Tel suggested above, changing just the lamps to LED will be cheaper to run and will pay for itself in electric savings.

As advised by Littlespark, plus I'd be tempted to check any other down lights elsewhere within the property and invest in swapping for LED's as Tel suggested.

Reply to What's going on here? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net