Discuss Whats the worst thing youve ever done as an apprentice? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Everyones done something stupid as an apprentice. (or at least thats what i like to tell myself.)

My worst mistake was in my first week with a new electrician at the company. I was with him to show him the ropes. was a really nice guy and even joked about how he was my apprentice for the week.
We went to skegness to wire a heating system. The plumbers couldnt get it finished that day and we couldnt commision so we arranged to go back the following day to finish off.
In the meantime i wired the immersion so the customer would have hot water that night.
all good so far and the new sparky was real pleased about an early finish.
We had just pulled up outside my house to drop me off when the phone goes.
Plumber cant get the immersion working.
He looked at me and said any idea whats wrong.
I said "oh no" and pulled the 15A rewireable fuse out of my pocket, where id put it so no one could turn it on while i was working on it.
The electrician was not very happy anymore and we drove the forty miles back to skeg in an uncomfortable silence.
I dont think he ever really forgave me for that.

Everyones done something stupid as an apprentice. (or at least thats what i like to tell myself.)

My worst mistake was in my first week with a new electrician at the company. I was with him to show him the ropes. was a really nice guy and even joked about how he was my apprentice for the week.
We went to skegness to wire a heating system. The plumbers couldnt get it finished that day and we couldnt commision so we arranged to go back the following day to finish off.
In the meantime i wired the immersion so the customer would have hot water that night.
all good so far and the new sparky was real pleased about an early finish.
We had just pulled up outside my house to drop me off when the phone goes.
Plumber cant get the immersion working.
He looked at me and said any idea whats wrong.
I said "oh no" and pulled the 15A rewireable fuse out of my pocket, where id put it so no one could turn it on while i was working on it.
The electrician was not very happy anymore and we drove the forty miles back to skeg in an uncomfortable silence.
I dont think he ever really forgave me for that.

Back chatting the foreman, and being introduced to the joys of being a labourer for the durassic spark who ran the stores. All week, up and down the stairs delivering material for the teams. Still he bought me a pint at the end of the week, and I learnt a very important lesson.

On my first day with a certain firm I pulled in a load of three core to wire a ring. As soon as I cut it I realised what I had done and tried to hide the evidence under a floorboard...was quickly found out and got a load of stick for it... should of just come clean :(

no the sparks were wondering why i was burning out the masonry bits though!

I used to also put a 20mm grommet in every hole in every backbox! i used thousands of them for a period of time!

Looking back now i still laugh at myself!

I can beat that! i used to drill the wooden noggins and put in red rawl plugs! haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

oh that is classic, fair play to owning up to that one :). when I first started I couldnt get my head round what drill bits to use on what surface and i kept getting caught using metal bits on brick work... that never went down well :)

worst job i ever had was re-brushing a DC motor. the motor was the size of a small van and had 144 brushes in 12 banks of 12. each brush was the size on a 10's smoke packet. then they had to be bedded in using a comm stick. came out of the motor room looking like a coalman.

On my first day with a certain firm I pulled in a load of three core to wire a ring. As soon as I cut it I realised what I had done and tried to hide the evidence under a floorboard...was quickly found out and got a load of stick for it... should of just come clean :(

Done exactly the same mate. Left on a job, first couple of weeks, told cable was in the front room of house. I didn't know the difference between 3 core and 2core. Anyway pulled a whole ring in with 3core. Went home feeling all smug, I'd done my first ring!!! Next day boss wasn't impressed but found the funny side.

Only thing was he had another lad on trial and I thought thats it I am a gunner. Good job he was even worse!!! He left 3 or 4 unessessary holes in a bedroom wall on the same job trying to route a cable, soft lad!!!

I was working at a school once during normal term time and we had a contract to do the supplies for portakabin! Was left to cleat up an swa whilst boss went to shop, anyway I got inside and noticed a bit of steel trunking lid was lose so hit it with my hand and boooooooom! I thought a bomb had gone of! Anyway it shut the whole school down for about five minutes! Boss got back and once we were left alone he just laughed at me and said you will learn not to be heavy handed with steel trunking!

aged about 18 we we were using the heating engineers shed as a tearoom and had a quick cup of tea and a game of cards at 3.00 pm
at 3.06 pm in walks the heating guys boss and feels the kettle to see how long we had been sitting.he goes mental and tells everyone "no cards at teatime boys"
Bearing in mind i didnt even work for the man, he turns to me and gives me the immortal line
AND YOU! JUST REMEMBER YOUR A GUEST IN ANOTHER MANS HUT!! pure class that man

Was on a breakdown of a forging press foot pedal burnt out and it took the 6 amp control fuse out.
So i go up to the landing where the press C/P is and the open the PLC panel up make sure all ok in side it on opening the PLC panel inadvertenly knocked the E-SB in when opening the door and with out knowing.
So after telling the press crew all ok to start up it wouldn't so after going over the complete press a PLC panel for a bout 2 hrs suddenly dawned on me why it wouldn't start E-Stop Button still in.
Just one of those things:furious3:

Reply to Whats the worst thing youve ever done as an apprentice? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net