Discuss What's this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm guessing this is a junction box, but my question is, is it safe? It looks ancient?
20200611_232539.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As mentioned, a pretty standard junction box.

There should not be any red or black basic insulation visible outside the box, I can see a few bits.

The earths don't look too securely connected, nowadays they would be sleeved green/yellow and in their own terminal. If one of these earths comes loose and disconnected, you could loose the earthing to a significant part of the circuit.

There is no strain relief for the cables - well actually there old buckle clips but they seem to have been undone. Someone tripping over one of the cables or pulling it, and connections can be pulled out of the screw terminals.

If you want a modern way, look up Wago connectors and Wagobox (there are other brands).

As mentioned, a pretty standard junction box.

There should not be any red or black basic insulation visible outside the box, I can see a few bits.

The earths don't look too securely connected, nowadays they would be sleeved green/yellow and in their own terminal. If one of these earths comes loose and disconnected, you could loose the earthing to a significant part of the circuit.

There is no strain relief for the cables - well actually there old buckle clips but they seem to have been undone. Someone tripping over one of the cables or pulling it, and connections can be pulled out of the screw terminals.

If you want a modern way, look up Wago connectors and Wagobox (there are other brands).
Thank you. I was just tidying up the flooring in the in the attic and came across it. I'm just finding lots in this house that don't look great to me so I'm asking questions about safety and how up to date these things are.

It appears to be a 6-terminal junction box that is part of the lighting circuit. The type of junction box in itself is OK so long as it is accessible for inspection. If it is not accessible under normal conditions, it would not be considered compliant with the current wiring regulations, as it is not a 'maintenance-free' type. However, that does not make it unsafe per se.

Unfortunately it has been badly wired. The CPC (earth) conductors of the cables are twisted together outside the box. This was fairly common practice but was never correct or compliant with the regulations, because the twisted connection is not secure or reliable and a loss of continuity could lead to shock risk at the lighting points in the event of a fault. It was done to save time and cost, as a correct installation of ten cables would require a larger (or multiple) boxes. Also, the cables are not adequately secured, the edge of the box appears broken and there is basic insulation showing. I suspect with the number of cables fitted it will be a pig's ear of a job inside.

Shoddy work, may not be immediately dangerous but worth having sorted out. Commissioning an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) on the whole installation might be a good idea.

It appears to be a 6-terminal junction box that is part of the lighting circuit. The type of junction box in itself is OK so long as it is accessible for inspection. If it is not accessible under normal conditions, it would not be considered compliant with the current wiring regulations, as it is not a 'maintenance-free' type. However, that does not make it unsafe per se.

Unfortunately it has been badly wired. The CPC (earth) conductors of the cables are twisted together outside the box. This was fairly common practice but was never correct or compliant with the regulations, because the twisted connection is not secure or reliable and a loss of continuity could lead to shock risk at the lighting points in the event of a fault. It was done to save time and cost, as a correct installation of ten cables would require a larger (or multiple) boxes. Also, the cables are not adequately secured, the edge of the box appears broken and there is basic insulation showing. I suspect with the number of cables fitted it will be a pig's ear of a job inside.

Shoddy work, may not be immediately dangerous but worth having sorted out. Commissioning an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) on the whole installation might be a good idea.
Shoddy work is exactly what I thought, and the fact it doesn't look neat and tidy is another reason I wanted to check it. Especially when it comes to electrics and bare wires. Is this something a competent diy'r could change with the right equipment, junction box and a bit of research?

In principle, a competent DIYer should be able to change a faulty or damaged electrical accessory or component of an installation that is known to be in generally sound condition. What you are up against here is a bit more challenging, because the general condition of the installation is unknown and there might be hidden flaws that you will not spot without the proper test equipment and experience in using it. You might make an excellent job of reworking a junction box while remaining blissfully unaware that the earthing or insulation has failed elsewhere, resuting in reinstating and re-energising a defective circuit, perhaps under the impression that it is now safe or at least safer than it was.

I would suggest that before changing or rectifying anything, an EICR undertaken by a competent electrician would give you a road map.

In principle, a competent DIYer should be able to change a faulty or damaged electrical accessory or component of an installation that is known to be in generally sound condition. What you are up against here is a bit more challenging, because the general condition of the installation is unknown and there might be hidden flaws that you will not spot without the proper test equipment and experience in using it. You might make an excellent job of reworking a junction box while remaining blissfully unaware that the earthing or insulation has failed elsewhere, resuting in reinstating and re-energising a defective circuit, perhaps under the impression that it is now safe or at least safer than it was.

I would suggest that before changing or rectifying anything, an EICR undertaken by a competent electrician would give you a road map.
Brilliant. Thank you. ☺

Well I know that was not mine because I always used to put earth sleeving on my outside the box earth. It was a long time ago, I was only doing what the guy who trained me told me to do!

Reply to What's this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net