Discuss where can i.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all of your members. Im new on this forum and i hope i can learn from your experiences on the electrical installation.Sorry for my language because English its my second language and probably i cant write on good way ..

I have two question.

1 - I see before on this forum one thread where other members post pictures of his installation on their jobs.I cant find any more.
2 - I have install some light and single sockets on the riser space on the 7 floor building.I use plastic conduit because its more easy for me. The riser space have to be closed at any time.One day someone from the building control although from the council come te control building and say to me i was doing wrong installation. As he say i should use galvanized steel conduit because its communal area. I was surprised.Because this space have to be closed always i thought its not communal area.Where i can read and learn for about those installations.i mean where i can use plastic or steel conduit or trunking,or other specific materials.From IEE wiring regulations i know some method of installations but there dont specify on this premises you have to use those materials and on that premises you have to use that material.Any advice in this problem.

Maybe this is the thread you were lookng for.
http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk...trical-forum/42274-show-us-your-installs.html

Possibly the regulations regarding steel conduit are actually building regs or fire safety regs and not electrical regs.

thanks marvo..yes ..show us your installation its that i looking for..

for the second question im not asking just for steer conduit..im asking for all of different installation materials..i thought its some books like IEE wiring regulations where all electricians can see how to install components of electrical..

Ask him to quote the regulation that says you cant do what you want to do ..... but be prepared to quote the regulation that allows you to do what you want to do!

in answer to your main question, the regs. stipulate that cables should be protected damage or degradation from mechanical or chemical attack and be installed in a suitable way for their environment. it's up to the designer/installer to select the best method of installation in order to comply.

Depends what your installation is.
Certain materials should (or should not) be used in certain areas for certain reasons.

Without knowing what your install consists of nobody can really help you.

Without knowing what your install consists of nobody can really help you.

If you read my first post you see there i install some light and single sockets on riser space in the building. I done them on plastic conduit but inspector from council say i should done them on galvanized steel conduit. Taking into consideration of these installation and what the inspector say i asking if its any book like IEE Wiring regulation where i can read and learn situation where i can use different type of materials on different type of installation..generally im not asking just for this job i done but for the future..as i understand on the other members this its on the hand of installers and designers ..but its chance to abuse on this situation..for example on my last job i did correct installations and inspectors try to ignore me..if its writing some where i can debate with them and i can say please have read regulation xy on this book ..i did correct installation..

in answer to your main question, the regs. stipulate that cables should be protected damage or degradation from mechanical or chemical attack and be installed in a suitable way for their environment.
it's up to the designer/installer to select the best method of installation in order to comply.

Thanks telectrix.You say its up to designer/installer to select best method. In the worse situation can be inspectors try to ignore you and your installations just to let you know he its very competently.Probably he don't have any idea what he say and sometime to cover his ignorance show to others his arrogance.you cant say to him ok my installations its correct and i do the installation on regarding of this method of installation who its writing on IEE wiring regulation or building regulations or whatever..

If you read my first post you see there i install some light and single sockets on riser space in the building. I done them on plastic conduit but inspector from council say i should done them on galvanized steel conduit. Taking into consideration of these installation and what the inspector say i asking if its any book like IEE Wiring regulation where i can read and learn situation where i can use different type of materials on different type of installation..generally im not asking just for this job i done but for the future..as i understand on the other members this its on the hand of installers and designers ..but its chance to abuse on this situation..for example on my last job i did correct installations and inspectors try to ignore me..if its writing some where i can debate with them and i can say please have read regulation xy on this book ..i did correct installation..

I did read that but the design has to be fit for purpose.
So depending on what the purpose of the building is that will change.

For instance you dont use plastic tube in a high impact risk area (warehouse for instance)
And you shouldn't use galv conduit in cattle sheds.

It all depends on the job.

Reply to where can i.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net